The world's leading ecosystem of funds & accelerators supporting diverse clean energy entrepreneurs.

When:  Dec 5, 2022 from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM (MT)
Associated with  Everything Solar Forum

NOVEMBER 2022

Hi folks,

As clean energy entrepreneurs, we know we can’t wait for global climate summits to help us scale our solutions. As I wrote here, the IEA’s World Energy Outlook has finally come to its senses and foreseen that fossil fuels are losing on all fronts, and yet this year’s COP27 again left much to be desired.

However, there were a few developments that folks at New Energy Nexus are optimistic about. This year it’s all about the money. Loss and damages was of course a significant outcome, if long overdue. Personally I was impressed with the proposal from the PM of Barbados, Mia Mottley, to overhaul development lending in support of climate adaptation and mitigation. We need more big ideas like this.

The perspective from the Global South is that that financing is not coming fast enough. In the USA, climate tech venture capital has been at a level of $50B per year. Even greater investment levels are needed for India, Southeast Asia and China. My colleagues Julius Mujuni in Uganda and Ralph Ebora in the Philippines are seeing an urgent need for more of this financing to support clean energy entrepreneurs in the Global South, like the ones we support with our programs there.

And another thing: we need more disrupters and less incumbents in the negotiating halls. As our Global Investor Development Director, Mary Jo Willmore, told me: “We need more climate entrepreneurs at COP sharing their climate innovations and being part of the financing conversation”. Watch this space, I say! 

Shine on 

Danny Kennedy
CHIEF ENERGY OFFICER, NEW ENERGY NEXUS

Contact

Tianyong Yuan