Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Connecting Women Installers!

Posted 12-09-2021 07:25 PM

Hi all,

I'm a female installer and project manager based in southwest Colorado. I have a history of working in nonprofits and developing networks and programs as well, and I'd love to build a network specifically for female installers and technicians in solar in the U.S. as a starting point. I know there are existing networks for women, but I'd really like to better connect installers specifically. I've spoken with folks at ASES a little about this, and some others also, but I thought I'd also throw that idea out here and see if any of you like this concept, are a female installer yourself who wants to participate in such a network, etc. I have some ideas about it, but would also like to hear the perspective of others.

Riley Neugebauer
    YouTube remove preview
    Riley Neugebauer
    Share your videos with friends, family, and the world
    View this on YouTube >

Solar is a field that is growing and growing fast. It is going to need more trained people, and women need to be a part of that. The only way I see that happening is if more women are in the field, owning companies, training other women, etc. I intend to help with some of that as I move forward in my own career, but I also want to keep connecting with others who feel the same way.

I've been starting to document a bit about my own journey on youtube, and hope to keep doing more of that as time goes on, but always like to connect and talk with others as well. You can check out my novice videos so far here: Riley Neugebauer

YouTube remove preview
    Riley Neugebauer
    Share your videos with friends, family, and the world
    View this on YouTube >

Thanks!

Riley

------------------------------
    Riley Neugebauer
    Project Manager & Installer
    SoCo Solar
    Bayfield CO
    rileyneugebauer@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Connecting Women Installers!

ASES Life Member
    Posted 12-10-2021 10:32 AM
    I'd recommend connecting with Juana María Hernández Jarquín, who plays a big role in the Red Mujeres network in Mexico, they work on a wide range of solar applications  --
    https://solarcooking.fandom.com/wiki/Juana_Mar%C3%ADa_Hern%C3%A1ndez_Jarqu%C3%ADn
    https://www.facebook.com/juanamaria.hernandezjarquin
    linkedin.com/in/juana-maría-hernández-jarquín-756ab71a
    I would wager she'd have great tips on networking!

Luther Krueger
    Curator Maximo
    Big Blue Sun Museum of Solar Cooking, Minneapolis
    kruegerian@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Connecting Women Installers!

Posted 12-10-2021 08:05 PM

Great! Thanks so much Luther - I appreciate it. She sounds awesome and it's always great to learn about what others are doing in other countries too. I'll check it out given the links you sent!

Riley Neugebauer
    SoCo Solar
    Bayfield CO

• 4.  RE: Connecting Women Installers!

ASES Life Member
    Posted 12-10-2021 05:03 PM
    Hi Riley,

This is a great idea and I don't think there is anything specific to women installers yet. I am installing mostly in Puerto Rico currently but more long term I belong to Colorado (Fort Collins). In Puerto Rico I am training women to design and install PV systems using the Solar Energy International curriculum. I agree there is much to be done in expanding the solar work force and bringing in many more women. Karo Fernandez is putting together a network to connect women in the solar/energy industry with a goal of making it easier to find women to speak at conferences, etc. (and networking too). Her focus is women in Latin America.  Count me in.

Alison

Alison Mason
    Principal
    SunJuice Solar LLC
    Fort Collins CO
    alison@greyrock.org

• 5.  RE: Connecting Women Installers!

Posted 12-10-2021 08:36 PM
    Hey Alison,

Thanks for your response. It's awesome to hear from you and about you! It sounds like you are doing a lot of what I hope to do in the future! I'd love to hear more! I was just in Puerto Rico a few weeks ago actually for a trip for a friend's wedding and was curious what was happening with solar there. If you'd be willing to connect further by video call, etc., I'd love to learn more about your work in general. I'll definitely keep you posted as I continue to think more about this, but would be interested to brainstorm with you on it too.

Thanks for your interest in this concept, and I wonder if I should also hear more from Karo about her project too? Perhaps there is a way to have individual countries with their own networks as well as a way for those networks to stay connected to one another for learning internationally also. I know WRISE does have a good network of women in solar in the U.S. but it is much broader than just installers, so I see the value of having a focus on installation/technical/training folks. There is another group called Energy for Women that I've linked up with and they seem to have a lot of Latin American countries represented, more so than the U.S. - I wonder if Karo is linked up with them.

Riley

Riley Neugebauer
    SoCo Solar
    Bayfield CO