Ask a Renewable Energy Expert

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) restrictions on space of roofs for PV systems

Posted 10-20-2021 08:58 AM
    It's been brought to my attention that the 2018 revision of the Fire Code by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) contains restrictive language in their 11.12.3 which denies coverage of portions of rooftops by solar panels. In addition their 11.12.4 constrains vegetative screening on ground mounted solar.
    Does the SEIA have a position on these?  Also, was it pointed out that restrictions on solar PV are incompatible with lack of restrictions for metal roofs in terms of access to the structure below?
    With these restrictions, people with small roofs, that is, small homes are essentially restricted from enjoying the benefits of solar PV, unless they are allowed to erect ground mounts. 
     - Jan Galkowski.
    --

------------------------------
    Jan Galkowski
    retired; studying quantitative ecology of mosses
    Westwood MA
    bayesianlogic.1@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) restrictions on space of roofs for PV systems

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-12-2021 08:43 AM
    Hi Jan,

I think ​our PV expert @John Burke may be able to offer some guidance. I also want to not that ASES and SEIA are separate organizations.

One of our other Technical Experts did point out that there is an updated code for 2021 and that there is a difference between residential vs commercial.

If you need more assistance please let me know!

Sincerely,​​

Carly Cipolla
    Director of Operations
    American Solar Energy Society
    http://ases.org

• 3.  RE: National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) restrictions on space of roofs for PV systems

Posted 11-12-2021 08:48 AM
    Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I've since learned that installers work around this here in Massachusetts.  They do provide access to roof peaks, for example, but these paths aren't necessarily on sides where there are panels. 

A lot of these problems could be avoided if there was more tolerance of ground mounted solar on private properties. Alas, in some of the suburbs of Boston, there isn't. 

- Jan

Jan Galkowski
    retired; amateur quant bryologist; solar advocate
    Westwood MA
    bayesianlogic.1@gmail.com