Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Two questions : (1) NIMN attitudes in Northeast U.S., (2) solar car ports suitable for wintry climes that can charge EVs

Posted 04-12-2021 09:28 PM
    Two questions to pose for general discussion.

First, anyone have any takes or approaches to the increasingly "not in my neighborhood" attitudes towards residential ground mount PV, as well as large community solar projects near or in suburbs?  The latter are sometimes coupled with (pretty selfish IMO) desires not to present PV visuals to people walking neighborhood or local trails, even if there are plenty of such trails available nearby with a short drive.

Second, there are solar carports. I have heard direct charging of EVs from such demands an intervening battery and electronics.  Whether or not such a carport can charge direct, any recommendations on them for wintry climes? I know there are prefab ones, but these generally ask for concrete foundations and are metal, something which is okay in CA, or AZ, or NM, but not in a wood-oriented New England neighborhood. Also, switchable batteries are supposed to come online in 2022-2023, and these are supposed to be friendlier in this kind of application.  We have 13.5 kW nameplate PV on our roof, and could expand it a tad, but we really need more, having one substantial EV (Tesla 3), but seeking to replace a Corolla with a second.  We're already not able to generate enough for everything.  Home is modestly sized and insulated, and has all electric heat pump heating and air conditioning, all electric appliances, hot water (heat pump) heater, and even electric lawn mower.  We're thinking of building a custom carport, but seeking wisdom and advice.

Thanks,

- Jan

--
    Jan Galkowski

Westwood, MA 02090
    607.239.1834 [mobile]

member,

... American Statistical Association
    ... International Society for Bayesian Analysis
    ... American Bryological and Lichenological Society
    ... New England Botanical Society
    ... New England Statistical Society
    ... Association for the Preservation of Cape Cod
    ... 1930 Society, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
    ... American Association for the Advancement of Science
    ... International Association of Bryologists

(pronouns: he, him, his)

Keep your energy local.  --John Farrell, ILSR

• 2.  RE: Two questions : (1) NIMN attitudes in Northeast U.S., (2) solar car ports suitable for wintry climes that can charge EVs

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 04-22-2021 11:13 PM
    Hi Mass! When I lived in NH, we used to refer to MA as a wanna bee New England state...lol.. It was kind of a NH joke do to the very different "thinking" of the MA crowds at the time (60's-70's) to NH. I miss the NH snow here in PA and it just keeps getting worse of course. Soon it will be a Canada visit required for snow.
    Anyway, I would guess going 6x6 pressure treated wood uprights and a slightly angled roof for a car port, as being the best shot against Nimby. People look at 2 feature solar more favorably, because even if they can not identify with the solar "thing", they most likely can understand a roof over the car protecting it from rain and snow abuse, and associated enter/exit protection for the user. I personally would just use the car port space as an expansion to the normal solar grid you have for the home. Unless trenching is a big problem for whatever reason, solar elect gened is all still just solar elect gened and grid tie allows for maximum production. Depending if your inverter is oversized or break even, it could be a fairly easy setup change. This way batteries are negated and cost kept low.

------------------------------
    william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 3.  RE: Two questions : (1) NIMN attitudes in Northeast U.S., (2) solar car ports suitable for wintry climes that can charge EVs

ASES Life Member
    Posted 04-25-2021 01:01 PM
    Coincidentally, I did a webinar on "Solar Power Your EV" yesterday (24 April 2021) as part of Drive Electric Earth Day.  No advice about building carports, but lots of information related to some of Jan's comments.  Here's the link:

Best wishes,
    Dave Erb

• 4.  RE: Two questions : (1) NIMN attitudes in Northeast U.S., (2) solar car ports suitable for wintry climes that can charge EVs

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 04-25-2021 03:40 PM
    Hi: Thanks for the link... skimmed through it. Didn't hear any advice on NIMBY... but might have missed it....
    Lots of numbers... A good vid for people who are looking to enter the electric PV market and EV's...
    ......Bill

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 5.  RE: Two questions : (1) NIMN attitudes in Northeast U.S., (2) solar car ports suitable for wintry climes that can charge EVs

Posted 04-26-2021 10:13 AM
    Excellent job Dave as I listened this morning to it.  I really like how you worked in a plug for the book as well.

David Hrivnak
    Sales/Engineering
    EcoLogical (part time)
    dhrivnak@chartertn.net

• 6.  RE: Two questions : (1) NIMN attitudes in Northeast U.S., (2) solar car ports suitable for wintry climes that can charge EVs

Chapter Leader
    Posted 04-27-2021 06:00 AM
    suncommon.com solar canopy

really nice timberframed
    one on road to stowe

Sent from my iPhone