Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

• 1.  Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Posted 02-21-2021 08:55 PM

With there being a big push for renewable energy there is lots of pressure being put on the natural gas companies to make a change. Some of these companies have are already planning on making the change. BP has pledged to have a net-zero emission by 2050. Is it a good thing for the companies that are already in control of the natural gas industry to be leaders in the renewable energy movement or would it be better if new companies come in and take control of the market?

------------------------------
    [Adam] [Vicksman]
    [Membership & Database Analyst Intern,]
    [American Solar Energy Society]
    [avicksman@ases.org]

• 2.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

ASES Board Member
    Posted 02-22-2021 10:16 AM
    In my personal opinion, it would refreshing to have new companies and take control of the market, however, the older larger titans of the market still control a significant portion of the market and the transition will be much quicker if they play along. There have been several instances before where these companies have tried to shift toward renewable energy only to change their minds later. However this time, they feel the heat from companies like Tesla, NextEra Energy. Also I believe, these large oil/gas companies will shift towards hydrogen as the next fuel, in which case, a lot of their existing technologies in processing, transporting, and other will be easily transferrable.

Achyut Shrestha
    achyut.achyut@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Posted 02-22-2021 04:56 PM
    I agree that it would be nice to see some new faces in the game as well as having the oil titans make the switch to being cleaner. I think if there is a combination of the two it will be the fastest way to move to clean fuel and energy.

[Adam] [Vicksman]
    [avicksman@ases.org]

• 4.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Posted 02-22-2021 08:04 PM
    Hey Adam, I'm with Achyut. I've watched this for 40+ years. There have been some big companies that bought up promising solar companies in the past, and we all thought wow! here we go, only to have them let them languish and then close them. I think this time is different, and I hope so. Still I also always look for Santa on Christmas Eve.

I think the only way to  make them really change their spots is to put the pressure on fossil fuels, while not endangering our national security, and making renewables an attractive investment. Most of that speaks to money.

David Howard
    Retired
    davidlhoward@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Posted 02-23-2021 02:52 PM
    Hey David, I hope that this time is different and we find a way to nudge them to keep on track of moving towards clean energy.

[Adam] [Vicksman]
    [avicksman@ases.org]

• 6.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Posted 02-25-2021 04:55 PM
    I appreciate the different perspectives on this question. I think it's a really important topic to Address, Adam, and I very much agree that hopefully this time we will be successful in finding a way to keep natural gas industry leaders moving in the right direction. I believe a lot of this will probably come from pressure from individuals.

[Ella] [Douglas]
    [Fundraising & Grants Intern]
    [edouglas@ases.org]

• 7.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Posted 03-02-2021 09:48 AM
    I agree that it is cool to see what everyone else thinks about this topic. I think that consumer pressure will be a big part of leading to change that will be beneficial for everyone.

[Adam] [Vicksman]
    [avicksman@ases.org]

• 8.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 03-03-2021 09:35 AM
    Doesn't it always....

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 9.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Posted 03-03-2021 11:15 AM
    What a natural gas distribution company actually chooses to do is limited by its local role or roles. When the same company is the utility for both gas and electricity it can transition customers from gas heat to heat pumps, and get some sales on the electricity side to make up for what it loses on the gas side.

However, when the company only distributes gas (as does National Grid on Long Island) it has absolutely no incentive to replace gas heat with (potentially renewably generated) efficient electric heat. Instead National Grid is extending its distribution lines here to sign up more customers, and converting oil heat customers to gas heat, which conversion has minimal to zero carbon emission impact. Those new lines will physically last long after New York is supposed to transition off fossil fuel heating. It will be interesting to see over what lifetime the Public Service Commission allows them to be depreciated.

Or perhaps sufficient "green hydrogen" produced by using surplus (i.e. otherwise curtailed) renewable electricity to electrolyze water into hydrogen gas will appear. Or sufficient "renewable natural gas" from composting organic material, etc. will be available at competitive prices. Either of these would allow such companies to continue their business model.

We live in interesting times indeed.

Peter Gollon
    pgollon@aol.com

• 10.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 03-03-2021 11:54 AM
    That's one way to put it... One could also say that after the Titanic hit the iceberg, the passengers on it lived in interesting times as well... the differential chronology one could claim matches the size of the system effected....

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 11.  RE: Natural Gas Companies or New Renewable Companies

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 03-03-2021 09:44 AM
    As I wrote in a blog post the other day, "Production, curtailment and offset are three different constructs.
    Only production can get you to zero, while having everything function."
    The FFI smoke and mirrors game, as noted, has been played for a long time. 
    Hydrogen is the only "item" that they can keep as recurring revenue under their control (A fuel).
    Unfortunately if its source is Fossil Fuel, nothing is gained because the Carbon is not being kept in the ground, and one must remember that H2 is not a fuel, but just an energy carrier. There is no net gain in its production.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net