Ask a Renewable Energy Expert

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Community Solar

Posted 10-11-2021 03:25 PM
    Hi! I am interested in learning more about community solar projects in my area, but I'm not sure what's a good way to get started. Where should I look for information on that, and what's the best way to get involved in these projects? Thank you!

------------------------------
    Lily Geiser
    lgeiser@ases.org

• 2.  RE: Community Solar

Divisions Leader
    Posted 10-11-2021 04:06 PM

Hi Lily, good question.  It often depends on what state you're in, as different policy mechanisms will allow for different types of community solar projects to occur.  If you are in a state with community solar enabling policy, then there may be projects starting, organically, at the neighborhood level.  You can follow NREL's National Community Solar Partnership site for a list of projects.  Also check with your electric utility provider.  Many utilities are offering community solar (or other forms of green pricing) to their customers, from both investor-owned utilities to co-ops.  There are also some national programs to get involved with community solar, such as Arcadia Power.  Good luck!

Gilbert Michaud
    Assistant Professor
    Loyola University Chicago
    gmichaud@luc.edu

• 3.  RE: Community Solar

ASES Life Member
    Posted 10-14-2021 09:07 AM
    Solar United Neighbors is a non profit based in DC that among other things, works to organize like-minded neighbors to get group discounts on solar equipment for their homes.  Not exactly community solar but may be of interest to you.  https://www.solarunitedneighbors.org/

Mike Curran
    Retired from (dare I say it?) Fossil Plant Mgt.
    joacchim57@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Community Solar

ASES Life Member
    Posted 10-21-2021 06:13 PM
    Lots of homes are shaded or facing the wrong way! Community Solar has the benefit of grid back up and more equitable buy in for renters.

SUN (Solar United Neighbors) is a great friend of ASES. Their advocacy projects and staff lead the nation on policy and regulations state by state. Community Solar would make an excellent side program for SUN but they focus on standalone residential installations. We thank SUN for partnering with ASES on the National Solar Tour. All in!

Wyldon Fishman
    Bronx NY
    wyldon1@gmail.com