Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Electricity storage

Posted 08-17-2021 09:56 AM
    Hello anybody,
         I'm new to this forum.  Just wondering what suggestions there are our there as I change my storage from Trojan L-16's to something more reliable.  I've had 4 of their batteries go bad in the last year.  Only two years old!!  And there doesn't seem to be any replacements available. Not for months now!
         My solar guy is getting in some Fullriver AGM DC400-6.  Is that a good replacement?  
         How about lithium-ion?     
    david kraus

• 2.  RE: Electricity storage

Posted 08-17-2021 03:38 PM
    The model from your solar guy has more capacity at C10.

before considering quality you have to check if you are not allowing more than 50% discharge your battery bank, or maybe one of them went bad and affected the rest of the batteries in the bank, or not properly charged. 

Lithium-ion is much expensive than the typical AGM batteries. for example a Simpliphi Battery bank  same characteristics as your 4x Trojan or Fullriver would cost around  $7500 which is 3 Simpliphi batteries 24Vdc 3.8-M model with longer warranty, and you can discharge them up to 80% to keep lasting longer.

------------------------------
    Baker Makarem
    baker.makarem@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Electricity storage

Posted 08-18-2021 10:54 AM
    While lithium's are more expensive up front, I think they are a better option long term.  I have had good luck personally from lithium in my cars and camper and all the storage system we now install are lithium batteries.

David Hrivnak
    Sales/Engineering
    EcoLogical (part time)
    dhrivnak@chartertn.net

• 4.  RE: Electricity storage

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 08-18-2021 10:41 AM
    Li-ion is nice if you have your own Ben Franklin printing press. For something balancing quality and longevity, go for Telecom batteries or AGM or wet with 15+ years design life. Example, Trojan SIND 04 1685 weigh in around 380lb+ ea and are a 4VDC wet battery with a 17 year design life on float. They will cost you 1/3 to 1/2 as much as Li-ion for the same KWH capacity and last as long. Telecom AGM's can be a good deal if you can get a sales person to "call you back". I have never seen a market so willing not to take your money. I am guessing there are supply issues in the "battery" market in general.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 5.  RE: Electricity storage

Posted 08-18-2021 10:57 AM
    Hi David,

What does the rest of your system consist of, and what loads are you running?  The Trojan L-16's should be able to last longer than the AGM, because you can maintain the flood type battery.  If you are not maintaining the batteries; equalizing once a month, checking specific gravity, adding distilled water when necessary,... then the AGM are a better option for you.  They are a sealed battery so they do not off-gas and do not require maintenance.  I ask about the rest of your system and your loads because, if you are maintaining the batteries, there could be a mismatch between loads and system components.  Perhaps the batteries are being drawn down below 50% capacity, or the panels are not enough to complete a full charging cycle.  These are all aspects that should be considered when the batteries are having a short life cycle.  I could definitely suggest a LiFePO replacement for your bank.  They do not require maintenance, like their lead acid counterparts do, and you can regularly use 80% of their capacity without negative effects, but they do come with a higher initial cost.  In the long run, the Lithium Iron batteries are currently the best bang for your buck available.  Let me know if this has been helpful, or if I can be of any more assistance.  

Best,

Daniel Hanselman
    Owner
    Independent Energy Innovations
    dan@ieisolar.com