Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  How are Solar State-by-State Licensing Requirements Handled in Reality?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 04-21-2022 05:52 AM
    I was hoping that folks could share their knowledge about how PV installation requirements are REALLY handled in various states.  I know that states often require electrical licenses or specific PV licenses - and some states have no licensing requirement.   Also local rules may apply.  And there may be debates as to what installation tasks actually constitute electrical work (so basically it is a mess). 

I know how it works in my state of Ohio - where only commercial installations require an electrical license.  But even then, in most cases, a licensed electrician may not be present on the job site at all times.  Generally an electrician must be involved in pulling the permit and making the connection to the grid.  The rest of the time, well it varies from company to company.  Often most installers on the job site hold no license nor are they necessarily enrolled in any formal apprenticeship program.  

I was just wondering if this is typical across the nation - or is licensing within the PV industry much more stringent and enforced in other states?

------------------------------
    Jay Warmke
    Owner
    Blue Rock Station LLC
    jay@bluerockstation.com

• 2.  RE: How are Solar State-by-State Licensing Requirements Handled in Reality?

Posted 04-22-2022 10:03 AM
    In general, the NABCEP "Solar Installation Professional" Certification is the golden ticket for designing and installing the typical residential and commercial solar installation in most states around the country. The test is quite comprehensive and the fail rate is rather high!! The test includes a necessary knowledge of basic electricity, FULL familiarity with the NEC and ALL aspects that relate to Solar - NOT JUST Secion 690!! The NABCEP ticket is a fair equivalent for solar that the "Journeyman" ticket is for electrical work. In most locations solar installations must pass a rigorous inspection that verifies that ALL NEC codes are met! This does NOT preclude utilizing the services of a journeyman electrician for those aspects of the job that require it.  (such as client side line taps, relocating services, and similar work).

Joe Utasi
    PV Solar Consultant (NABCEP #032611-321)
    Cinci Home Solar, Keowee Home Solar, DIY Solar Helper
    joe@cincihomesolar.com

• 3.  RE: How are Solar State-by-State Licensing Requirements Handled in Reality?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 04-23-2022 02:56 AM
    I am certainly familiar with the NABCEP certifications as well as the solar certifications offered by the Electronic Technicians Association International (ETA-I), which are quite similar and also widely available.  Getting certified is a good idea and will help the industry.  But these certifications are not "required" in most jurisdictions (nor are customers even aware of their existence).

Was really hoping to get an insight into how the licensing in different jurisdictions is handled in the real world rather than what it says on paper.  Thanks.

Jay Warmke
    Owner
    Blue Rock Station LLC
    jay@bluerockstation.com

• 4.  RE: How are Solar State-by-State Licensing Requirements Handled in Reality?

Posted 04-25-2022 06:39 PM
    In Oregon a licensed electrician or a Limited Renewable Technician (LRT) are the only ones who can touch the DC and AC wires. This is true for both commercial and residential. The LRT is limited in what parts of the AC work they can do. Any off limits AC work to them requires a licensed electrician, for example making the final connection to the grid. For some commercial work a company can only bid a project if they have a NABCEP certified professional on staff.  A licensed electrician is required for pulling electrical permits. If a solar installation is installed by a homeowner (diy), no electrician is required.

Lori Bokovoy
    lbokovoy@yahoo.com

• 5.  RE: How are Solar State-by-State Licensing Requirements Handled in Reality?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 04-26-2022 12:22 PM
    I live in central PA, rural area. I can do my own work but then have to have a local inspection service check it over. Not a big deal thankfully. Although I am sure as time goes forward, more people via regulations will want their hand in the cookie jar of money.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net