Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Thermal system

• 1.  Thermal system

Posted 03-03-2021 01:25 PM
    I have a couple of large thermal panels on my house which ceased working quite a while ago. Our installer said it wasn't cost effective to fix it. I hope I can hire someone to disconnect the system. 

Coreen Toll

• 2.  RE: Thermal system

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 03-05-2021 01:25 PM
    Did the person give you any more detail on what was wrong with it? Most solar thermal systems are pretty tough and can survive extended stagnation. I hate to say this, particularly on this forum, but there are a lot of guys out there that are diagnostically challenged. That's the most polite way I can express that. It could be something as simple as the differential controller or a bad sensor wire at one of the termination  points. Do you yourself have any electrical knowledge or plumbing knowledge? I will assume it is thermal for DHW..??.. with a preheat tank..??..

------------------------------
    william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 3.  RE: Thermal system

ASES Life Member
    Posted 03-08-2021 11:01 AM
    Mr. Fitch, thank you for address the message.  I could not get into the message reply page that day.  My thoughts are the same. Solar thermal systems last practically forever.  Mine sole system in on my house on Oahu and while very neglected seems to have lasted well over a decade or more.  I do need to review it, but more checking seems pertinent prior to buying off on one opinion.

Dale Bickenbach
    Tacoma WA
    annadale.bickenbach@att.net

• 4.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-08-2021 11:26 AM
    u do shw?

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 5.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-08-2021 09:15 AM
    I agree with Mr Fitch. Older Thermal  Systems are really durable!
    Most thermal systems have in-line cartridge pumps; one can remove 4 bolts, and casing comes off. Then a new cartridge can be installed and casing put back. Or system needs recharged.
    Systems were made in America, in the 80s, and were built to last !!
    Or it could be a sensor. Someone who knows what they are doing, can give you a better idea of what is wrong.

Mark Stahl

Mark Stahl
    Energy Consultant
    EnergySaver Consulting
    Colorado Springs CO
    markstahl9@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-09-2021 12:22 PM
    We removed our Solar Domestic Hot Water (SDHW) system in 2018. This was done because we were making the transition to solar PV using the same roof area. The presumed savings of SDHW was difficult to prove, and removing it was our best choice because solar PV would ultimately reduce our electric bill to near-zero.
    Other considerations:
    1/ the 80-gal tank had failed, and this would have been the 3rd time replacing it since installing the SDHW system in 1986;
    2/ the circulation pump was using AC power and needed renewal or replacement;
    3/ the requirement of recharging the whole system each time the tank was replaced was clearly reducing the overall cost-effectiveness of the system.

Spencer Day
    srdayg@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Thermal system

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 03-09-2021 01:19 PM
    Allot of factors can effect the longevity of SDHW. The veracity of the water (Ph), TDS, etc. can determine the longevity of the tank. SDHW is one of the places where a Stainless Steel tank makes since. They pretty much last forever as long as any coils within are SS as well. A SS pump doesn't hurt either even with a Glycol loop. Solar thermal production is limited to the load at any given instant (Storage included as load). Grid tied PV is not. You can always produce the systems maximum at full sun, as long as the grid is up. That is where the presence of net metering comes in. Without net metering, ROI becomes longer as you increase system size over load. In short, no net metering, install a little system if you care about money. Lastly, solar thermal can only go after thermal loads, not non thermal electrical loads.
    For full disclosure I have SAHP geo thermal, solar thermal liquid, solar thermal hot air, tracking PV and wind.
    Two full electric vehicles and one PHEV.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 8.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-09-2021 05:48 PM
    Thanks for your advice. I am now working with A local consultant who is trying to repair my system. He thinks the problem is a broken water pump.
    Coreen

• 9.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-09-2021 05:49 PM
    Thanks for your advice. I am now working with a local expert who is trying to repair the system.
    Coreen

• 10.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-10-2021 08:10 AM
    Sorry u are going out of SHW but if u ever change ur mind i have all Free info on my Face book page "guilt Free Hot Water" that u can do all urself! but it does take some maintenance and i use a DC pump that gets its power from a small PV panel and u don't have to depend on utility

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 11.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-11-2021 11:04 AM
    Hello

I lost one of my Oventrop evacuated tubes in a storm.

Ovenrop has stopped making them.

They are available from China but shipping is very high.

And breakage is almost certain according to our contacts.

So I wonder if someone in the USA may have extra tubes or used tubes available?

Chris Kellogg
    Steele Kellogg AIA

• 12.  RE: Thermal system

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 03-11-2021 11:54 AM
    Are your tubes a single wall design or double wall design? In short, when you look at your tubes, can you look through the glass and see a flat strip collector plate inside, or are they a uniform black all on an inner tube?

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 13.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-11-2021 01:47 PM
    i have both but preferer the double wall as i think its not as good but then u need just a few more tubes to balance out and they are less expensive and going with my gut feeling will last longer and i have the OG100 USA certified

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 14.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-11-2021 01:50 PM
    i have extra but need to know what size, how many u need? where are u?

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 15.  RE: Thermal system

ASES Life Member
    Posted 03-12-2021 12:42 PM
    Replacement tubes are available in the US.  Alpine Solar (alpinesolarheat.com/) in Windsor, Massachusetts has both 47 mm and 58 mm diameter tubes.  The last couple of shipments received had all tubes intact.

• 16.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-10-2021 09:37 AM
    Hi all -

I have an Apricus evacuated tube solar thermal water heating system.  I have not had any problems with the system since installation ~13 years ago except for replacement of the controller last year.  I have a Rheem 80 gallon water tank with a closed loop and small electric anode.  I also run a hydronic floor heating system in my basement floor slab from the tank via heat exchanger.  My array is installed as an awning so it shades a south facing window as well.  My only reservation is the pump which does run on AC. I would like to upgrade that to a PV powered pump when/if it ever fails so we have hot water and a warm basement when power goes out.

It is hard to quantify energy savings but I do regularly get 100+ degree F water heated by the array.  I too seek to install PV when the timing is right but chose solar thermal because efficiency is much higher and heat seems to me a more direct use of the sun than conversion to electricity.  Georgia does not have a robust incentive plan for integrating PV into the power grid so that's kind of a downer.

It may be a non-starter but I have always believed that on-site use of DC power generated by PV is the most efficient utilization.  Of course, grid connection and AC inversion makes sense with the electrical infrastructure in place.  

Curiously, I see that Walmart is offering a pretty similar solar thermal water heating system! 700 Liter Duda Solar Water Heater Active Split System Single Coil Tank Evacuated Vacuum Tubes Hot SRCC Certified - Walmart.com
    Walmart.com remove preview
    700 Liter Duda Solar Water Heater Active Split System Single Coil Tank Evacuated Vacuum Tubes Hot SRCC Certified - Walmart.com
    Free shipping with no order minimum required. Restrictions apply. Report incorrect product information Size: 700 Liter Single Coil, Slope Frame About This Item We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it.
    View this on Walmart.com >

Meg

Meg Needle
    Senior Associate
    Lord Aeck Sargent - a Katerra Company
    Atlanta, Georgia
    mneedle@lordaecksargent.com

• 17.  RE: Thermal system

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 03-10-2021 11:56 AM
    It might be cheaper and better to put a UPS on the pump and controller circuit for the evacs. 
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tripp-Lite-1500VA-UPS-Battery-Backup-AVR-LCD-Line-Interactive-10-Outlets-120V-USB-TEL-Coax-Protection-OMNI1500LCDT/23422694?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0
    The above as an example. A UPS like this will not only protect the pump and controller but will most likely run the system for a couple of hours in a power failure. You also can add extra batteries to extend run time. The typical AC pump and controller does not draw more than 150 watts, and a UPS of that size will handle the spike load as well. Ac motors have better starting torque than PV run motors, especially in the smaller sizes. The cost of this solution will be way less and easier to install than a transition to PV DC powered solution.

It sounds like with a single DHW tank, you are running a "boost" system. The element inside will always maintain the Rheem tank at what ever the tank thermostat is set to, so solar gain only happens above the elements set point, for the most part. I would also guess you have a tempering valve on that tank output for your DHW fixtures.
    How may tubes do you have? Can you divert the collector output directly to the floor, bypassing the tank? Adding a Radiant floor can make for some interesting configurations in flow and control.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 18.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-10-2021 01:20 PM
    Thank you for the UPS tip!  I will look into that for pump back up to be certain. 

Regarding the tank, it is an 80 gal Rheem Solaraid https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/3031962E-2462-403C-8981-231AF6BD8197.pdf .  My understanding is that the electric element is designed to hold the set temperature in the upper 40 gal of the tank and the solar loop heats the bottom 40 gallons.  Naturally, the heated water rises so that the full benefit of the solar heating in the lower half of the tank is realized.  The solar system consistently provides 100 degree F at the top of the lower half of the tank. Very simple use of thermal convection and no moving parts in the tank.  

The solar collector is Apricus evacuated tube array comprised of (30) 1-meter long tubes (approximately 6' wide).  This type of collector only has water circulating at the top where copper pipes within each glass tube exchange heat into the water circulating at the top manifold.  That loops around the lower part of the DHW tank.  The glass tubes are very resilient, offer a rounded surface to optimize collection morning to evening, and stay pretty clean throughout the seasons.

Regarding the hydronic floor heating, that system is completely decoupled from the DHW tank but gets heat through a plate heat exchanger fed by DHW loop.  There are two pumps for that system; one for the loop to and from DHW and one on the floor loop.  I designed that system, including pex tubing cast into slab on grade, controller, pumps and plate heat exchanger with the help of houseneeds.com Pex Tubing Radiant Floor Heating. PEX Radiant Underfloor In floor Heat

I kind of use the floor loop and thermal mass of the slab on grade to store heat during the day when the solar collector is active and then turn down the floor system thermostat at night.  

I'm guessing I could install a UPS on the circuit powering all three pumps Two for hydronic floor loops and one for solar collector loop) to achieve system resilience during a power outage.

Thanks again for that suggestion!
    Meg

Meg Needle
    Senior Associate
    Atlanta, Georgia

• 19.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-10-2021 03:53 PM
    so Fantastic!    some are talking about SHW!     Im on FB under "Guilt Free Hot Water" nothing to sell but its what i did and actively promoting. My closed loop system works with a small Dc pump that gets power from a small Photo Voltaic panel,20 volts and it only needs  25 watts and i use a small line Thermostat, my only controller 
    PECO
    • Item # 4MY93
    • Mfr. Model # TRF115-005      from Grainger about $80  which i can adjust seasonally . This makes all my Domestic Hot water and 95% heat for home

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 20.  RE: Thermal system

ASES Life Member
    Posted 03-11-2021 10:41 AM
    Yes, It is exciting to see the flurry of comments about solar thermal for domestic hot water, perhaps it is not "passe" as much as PV would like to think! Of course, with the cost of PV dropping, the new age of PV powered domestic hot water is upon us, but I prefer to use the electrons first for the battery then engage a diversion controller to dump extra sun into the hot water heater....

Gail Burrington
    proprietor
    Burrington's Solar Edge
    Windsor Locks CT
    solaredge@yahoo.com

• 21.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-11-2021 11:39 AM
    PV is Fantastic! and i also have it but also SHW! Its the "low hanging Fruit" . I have a different system that uses the Evacuated tubes with Big home made flat plate that anyone can get locally as it makes ,which was a surprise to me, most of my heat and the Evacuated tube kick it up as they are last in line as i have them in series with 3/4 inch copper. All my info is for free at Guilt Free Hot Water and if u friend me on Fb i have much more free info. Expensive lessons iv learned, parts that iv gotten that work so u are able to put it together yourself, if ur a bit handy. Im from Colder Canada so i know cold but now living in San Jose CA and each area will demand different systems and have different issues. In my system, well i shouldn't say mine, its yours to make and modify as so many variables like area/how big ur trying to heat/off grid or on ect. I try to keep it as simple as i can with only one controller that only sees the heat and turns on a small DC low powered pump that uses a small PV panel so u don't need fusses or worries about fire starters as the pump only needs 25 watts Electric Brewing Pump
    Morebeer remove preview
    Electric Brewing Pump
    This 24v magnetic drive brewing pump is very compact, super quiet, safe to use around liquids, and integrates well with electric brewing systems. It has plenty of power, with a max flow rate of 6.4gpm - perfect for recirculating wort in an all grain brewing set up.
    View this on Morebeer >

sorry dint want to put this all up and im not so computer savvy to make it smaller. im not so sure about all their claims about that much flow or lift but i don't use full 24 volts and use 20 as i think it will last much longer. mine has been every day for the last 5 yrs. and my system is a closed loop with food grade glycol with 12 psi when cold,enuff to get to the top of the roof, running as water expands so much, i have an expansion tank but it will kick up tp 17 psi . Also use all Non ferrous you dont want any rust. Anther problem is getting a good heat exchanger as i dont use the pumping station type and want to get the heat directly into the bottom of the biggest tank i can get which is 120 gallons for some reason i cant figure out. HTP had one of the bestSuperStor Ultra Water Heater
    Htproducts remove preview
    SuperStor Ultra Water Heater
    HTP has several options for your needs: tank type water heaters, tankless water heaters, our Crossover series water heaters, or supply boilers. HTP also has models for both your residential or commercial needs. Not sure which type of water heater is right for you?
    View this on Htproducts >
    Htproducts remove preview
    HTP has several options for your needs: tank type water heaters, tankless water heaters, our Crossover series water heaters, or supply boilers. HTP also has models for both your residential or commercial needs. Not sure which type of water heater is right for you?
    View this on Htproducts >
        or State water heaters https://www.statewaterheaters.com/lit/spec/solar/srqss00109.pdf
    not sure if im suppose to be putting the links up but not in this for any $ as we need to pull together to all fight climate change on all levels . i have 2 of the HTP tanks in series so i can collect more Solar Energy. Then the heat if any left goes to a heat exchanger in a 1000 gallon zero pressure home made tank that collects if any heat left which will be for heating my home. i use smaller dc pumps to just suck water from the top of the big tank and circulate to my floor and also have a big Tractor tailor radiator that dumps the heat from  a second loop. this is what i did and will help any one with theirs

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 22.  RE: Thermal system

ASES Award Winner
    Posted 03-12-2021 09:49 AM
    I have had solar water heating since 1985, which has operated flawlessly for these 35 years, and my PV
    battery systems in both my home and also in my office building have been operating 33 years and 27
    years respectively.  My 20 year old company blends clean energy technologies - high-value energy efficiency,
    the entire portfolio of renewables and energy storage for the C&I. government, & infrastructure markets.
    And I teach three separate courses on this at The George Washington University (GWU). That said, I am
    a strong believer in using solar thermal, waste heat, and geothermal heat pumps in buildings and utilize
    PV for the pumping/fan functions. A better optimization than trying to orchestrate PV for everything, and frankly way more efficient and economic. Best to all,  Scott

Scott Sklar

President

The Stella Group, Ltd.

706 North Ivy Street, Arlington, VA 22201

VA Phone:  703-522-1195 (3049 direct)

E-mail:   solarsklar@aol.com

The Stella Group, Ltd.. is a strategic technology optimization owner's rep firm for clean energy users and companies, with a focus on system standardization, modularity and web-enabled diagnostics.  Scott Sklar is an Adjunct Professor at The George Washington University teaching three unique interdisciplinary sustainable energy courses, and an Affiliated Professor with CATIE, an international graduate university in Costa Rica offering graduate degrees on sustainability. Sklar is the Energy Director at GWU's Environment and Energy Management Institute (EEMI).

Scott Sklar
    President & Adj Professor
    The Stella Group, Ltd, GWU EEMI
    Arlington, VA
    solarsklar@aol.com

• 23.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-15-2021 11:17 AM
    I have a little different perspective on solar thermal and PV.
    As a builder of passive solar custom homes for over 30 years my view of solar thermal and pv keeps evolving.
    Solar thermal, hot pressurized water systems can be problematic over time requiring a qualified person to keep them running.
    We use to install them on many custom homes.
    Lately we have simplified our systems to a larger pv array, super insulated electric hot water heaters on a time of use clock.
    This optimizes our pv generated electricity to be used for heating the domestic hot water tank.
    I also recommend super insulating a new home and heating and cooling with an electric mini-split heat pump.
    Efficient electric use with an electric company net metering policy allows for a pv system to be sized appropriately for a homeowner to generate all ones power needs.
    All electric homes with appropriate PV and a battery storage system are the way of the future.

Steve Kawell 
    Keller Williams Realty Southwest Associates, LLC
    700 Main Avenue, Durango, CO. 81301
    970-769-3904

• 24.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-16-2021 12:27 PM
    PV has definitely proven itself and I'm definitely for it .
     Also think Solar Hot Water has a place for the Die hard such as myself.
    Yes SHW has issues as its to cold in winter /Sun is also to low and not as powerful as its energy is sapped some what as it has to travel through more Atmosphere bc of the low angle that's why i put my evacuated tubes almost straight up and down which also would shed and snow and self shade in summer as then you get to much Sun.
    I also don't like the present system of Pump station and Stagnation is when the system goes into non circulation as the system has  all the Solar it can get/saturation/Full, i guess and the pumps shut off and the poor system is left to cook on the roof. What i do, is, have the water/glycol mix cool the tubes/headers/ flat plate so that doesn't happen. In my system has one small PV panel 20 volts 50 watts so you are not depending on the grid in case of unreliable power.. i have a site that's dedicated to Free Solar Hot Water info for more doityourselfers and if your close i can come help for free. Its called  Guilt Free hot Water and if u like that friend me on Face book as i have much more as its easier to upload pics/info. 
    The pic is of the Fiberglass non pressure tank i made, its almost 1000 gallons which acts like a batterie/storage heat next will be in ground much bigger
    schematic is of the simplified system i have which i think i have bugs out

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 25.  RE: Thermal system

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 03-10-2021 05:23 PM
    Just a small detail, the tubes, are they one meter long or two? I only ask because I don't think I have seen their tubes that short. If it is two, then that would give you 36 to 40 sqft gross area... which would yield somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45KBTU's per sunny day.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 26.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-10-2021 05:41 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi William --

You are correct!  The tubes are longer than a meter (my mistake).  The 30 tube array is nearly square Apricus ETC-30.  They claim to have a max output of 2014W :  https://www.apricus.com/ETC-30-Solar-Collector-pd43215927.html 

Great stuff Rolland BTW.  I will check out your FB

Meg Needle
    Senior Associate
    Atlanta, Georgia

• 27.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-11-2021 02:00 PM
    that's the Chinese one and i did buy just the tank, it has a small copper heat exchanger and the fittings will corrode as of Galvanic action occurs when two electrochemically dissimilar metals are in contact and a conductive path occurs for electrons and ions to move from one metal to the other. One metal corrodes as its ions are deposited onto the other metal. as they use inexpensive fittings. the evacuated tubes are probly the best in this package. sad that Wallmart doest  have a good ,yes more expensive but it will work over time and not turn people off of SHW

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 28.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-11-2021 02:48 PM
    i have 2 pumps that i can manually switch but use the 20 volt 25 watt Topsflow pump most of the time which has been running flawlessly for over 5 yrs daily, well almost as some very dark/cold but even then with the evacuated tubes it will kick on days. The 110volt BRASS as i just solder directly on as  as  they  last  so  long  and  i only  use  sometimes  when  i usually  just  fill  to  chase  the  air  bubbles  out.  I have  them  in  parallels  and  close  off  valve  to  isolate  so  that  they  dont  interfere  with each  other  and so  important  to have a good flow meter to make absolutely ur moving water or u will have a "Das Boat" moment. (pressure will build and will Pop the pressure relief) a must have at 30 psi i think code is?
    • Zoro #: G0369162
    •  
    • Mfr #: 003-BC4

• 29.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-08-2021 11:24 AM
    sad that u want to do that. maybe i can help? depends what shape they are in, usually its from not doing Maintence? will cal from 408 area code
    I have a FB site with all free info on what i did. its  Guilt Free Hot Water. like i said i have nothing to sell! its just what i did and it works
    evacuated tubes

Rolland Riives
    President
    Guilt Free Hot Water
    cambellrives@comcast.net

• 30.  RE: Thermal system

Posted 03-12-2021 02:51 PM
    Edited by David Hrivnak 03-12-2021 02:54 PM
    Yes I am sure it can be done as I did this for a local person earlier this year.  Took two people a day of labor.  The system had worked well for over 18 years.  But it started to leak glycol and the pump started to cavitat.  She replaced it with a heat pump water heater and has seen a nice reduction in overall energy use, more so than from the
    thermal system.

David Hrivnak
    Sales/Engineering
    EcoLogical (part time)
    dhrivnak@chartertn.net