Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Issues with Solar PV installation?

ASES Board Member
    Posted 02-22-2021 10:35 AM
    Has anyone has negative experience with solar PV installation and would like to share?  ASES could learn from these experience and work to reduce similar in the market.

------------------------------
    Achyut Shrestha
    achyut.achyut@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Issues with Solar PV installation?

Posted 02-22-2021 11:37 AM
    The company that installed my original solar PV system in 2012 decided to no longer do business in my state about 2 years after they installed my system. Since that time I have had 3 micro inverters fail and one solar panel fail. The micro inverters and the solar panel were covered under warranty but not the actual install of the replacement components. I live in a rural area and have found that it's not economically feasible for Most of the other solar companies in our part of the state to provide service on existing systems that were installed by others. As such I have found a way to get up on our roof and change out the defective items. Last fall my wife and I decided to add more solar to our property since we are slowly converting to mostly everything electric in our house. We got a few quotes for adding more solar but we ultimately decided that if we built a pole mounted system we could probably do it ourselves since we wouldn't be on the roof and since we learned a lot from changing out the defective items on our existing solar system. (Update!) I am happy to report we successfully assembled and installed a 4800 watt pole mounted solar array that has both east-west and tilt tracking capability. We had our local electrician assist us with the final wiring connections and passed both the local jurisdiction having authority inspection and the electrical inspection and received permission from our local utility to operate the system. The system is producing nicely already and is a nice compliment to our existing roof mount system.

Robert Mellon
    nmellon@verizon.net