Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Maximizing PV to Inverter

• 1.  Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-16-2022 12:14 PM
    I have a new solar system, so this is my first few months of production. That being said, I did a lot of research before installing my system (I tried anyways, some of it doesn't make sense until you have a system installed), and I have a spreadsheet every month of exports from an emporia energy monitor (CT's on individual circuits and my mains) as well as an export from my inverter, and an export for every 15 minutes from my power company. All the data is within 2-3% accurate of each other for production/consumption.

I have 12.8kw in 32 panels, ground mount, 0 shade ever. Location is southeast Georgia.
    Sol-Ark 12k inverter, capable of 9600w AC, plus additional 3400w to the batteries. I can consume 9600w of solar for my home + export to the grid, while an additional 3400w can fill my batteries. Once my batteries hit 100%, that 3400w is just gone and I'm capped at 9600w between my self consume and grid sell.

I have 4x 5kwh ARK lipo batteries for a total of 20kwh. DoD set down to 20%. The batteries are capable of discharging and receiving more than the inverter is capable of passing through.

My inverter seems to be the bottle-neck at this point, because on several days I have already noticed "clipping" where up until my batteries reach 100%, I am receiving nearly 11kw from my panels, but as soon as my batteries hit 100% (usually before 11am even if when they start completely discharged to 20%) my PV drops down to 9000-9500w while self consuming a few hundred watts. This limits the amount I can sell back to the grid to give or take 9,000w at any given time the rest of the day, even though my panels are able to produce was more. I'm actually capped at grid sell at 9400w in the inverter, and 10k by the power company.

So, given the info above, here is my question: Is there anything I can do to better utilize the additional 3,400w available to/from my batteries to maximize my PV production and grid sell amount?

I'm sure there is a reason, but having a "12k" inverter that can only process 9400w at a time seems like a false representation. I get why its 12k, because 9600+3400, but that's what I've got to work with, so I want to maximize as much as possible. My panels can produce more, and I can actually export more, but my inverter is limiting me.

Sol Ark will soon release a 15k inverter, which can receive/discharge 15kw from any source, which makes more sense in my mind. I will definitely be considering making that switch when it becomes available. Until then, maybe someone can help me navigate a way to get a little more PV juice throughout the day.

------------------------------
    Robert Edwards
    Waycross, Georgia

• 2.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

ASES Award Winner
    Posted 02-17-2022 11:43 AM
    Yes, this is your solution. - Scott

Sol Ark will soon release a 15k inverter, which can receive/discharge 15kw from any source, which makes more sense in my mind. I will definitely be considering making that switch when it becomes available. Until then, maybe someone can help me navigate a way to get a little more PV juice throughout the day.

Scott Sklar
    President & Adj Professor
    The Stella Group, Ltd, GWU EEMI
    Arlington, VA
    solarsklar@aol.com

• 3.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 02-17-2022 02:34 PM
    Edited by william fitch 02-17-2022 02:47 PM
    "Sol-Ark 12k inverter, capable of 9600w AC, plus additional 3400w to the batteries. I can consume 9600w of solar for my home + export to the grid, while an additional 3400w can fill my batteries. Once my batteries hit 100%, that 3400w is just gone and I'm capped at 9600w between my self consume and grid sell."

Are you sure the Sol-Ark works that way? My Xantrex inverter/charger charges and sells independent of each other. Once batteries are at 100% everything else gets sold. Now that said, my inverter/charger is separate from my main grid tie. And my extra PV power comes from a separate low voltage array (~5KW) directly into the batteries. Once 100% is hit, it starts to sell. 

If you are in fact correct on the separating function, one way is to add a 4KW battery to grid inverter to the battery bank and set the sell mode to just under the voltage of the grid tie inverter.  To me though, that seems "messy". Another perhaps cleaner way is to split you main array DC feeds into two down feeds, and get another 4KW grid tie "regular" inverter. Give it 4KW of panels to handle and leave the rest to the Sol-Ark. This way the Sol-Ark is never over loaded leaving power on the roof. You could also just get a 6 or 8KW regular grid tie and hook it in parallel with the Sol-Ark leaving the array to feed both "equally". Each gets about 50%, the battery gets charged and when at 100%, everything "sells". You keep the original Sol-Ark and just add a smaller one but nothing is left idle or "wasted".

Edit: I just noticed the line, "I'm actually capped at grid sell at 9400w in the inverter, and 10k by the power company". That kills you pretty much unless you can get the 10K limit eliminated. Such limits in the upward direction are krap. No engineering basis for it. They are simply trying to eliminate demand destruction. You might also want to see what your pole trans is rated at. If you have a 20KW or greater, there is definitely no reason to limit. 
    william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 4.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 05:52 AM
    @william fitch
    I am sure it works that way. I'm still not sure WHY sol-ark designed it that way, but that's out of my control. From reading the specs, it seems their newer 15k inverter does not have those limits, so my hope is when those are released, my installed will find someone to buy my discounted 12k inverter, and i'll upgrade to the 15k.​ This will also work out well, because I plan to get a bigger back-up generator, and right now I'm limited to 8000w using a generator, and the 15k is limited to 15k.

Yes, getting a second, smaller inverter may also be an option. When it comes time and the prices are released, I'll compare the prices on that. That's a good thought. Thanks.

Also, We hope Georgia will pass true net metering legislation soon. I have started to be vocal in advocating for that, and plan to meet with my representatives soon. It has a lot of support, but as we all know there is a lot of money behind the power companies that we are fighting.

Robert Edwards
    b1edwards@bop.gov

• 5.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-17-2022 03:12 PM
    Robert, what you describe is not out of the ordinary. It is common practice to oversize the array by 20% or even 25% in terms of DC peak power (rated at STC) more than the AC output power rating of the inverter. This is done for several reasons:
    1. There is efficiency losses in converting the DC power output of the array into AC power output from the inverter. Inverter losses, losses in the DC conductors, losses in any module-level electronics, etc.
    2. Typically, arrays rarely operate at their max rated peak output. When they do, it is a clear, cool, bright sunny day, and only when the Sun is nearly incident to the plane of the array, i.e. +/- 1 hr around solar noon.  The rest of the time, there are passing clouds, sun coming in at lower angles in the morn, eve, or seasonally, or it is very hot (voltage decreases as temperature rises, reducing power), and the array is operating at some lower percentage of peak rated.
    3. Oversizing the array when compared to the inverter rating typically results in better performance during low light conditions, since the inverter is more efficient when operating higher up in its normal operating range.
    4. Your array is rated for it's highest peak rating (12.8kW) at the time of install. Over time, as the panels age, depending on acidity of rain and other factors like dirt and dust buildup, etc, the array output will degrade slightly.
    Right-sizing the inverter is the responsibility of an experienced solar design and installation contractor. Your installer should have considered the trade-offs of adding additional solar modules to your array for the inverter chosen, and any losses due to ocassional clipping, vs installing more inverter capacity and the costs and efficiency impacts that come with it.
    I suspect the energy losses due to clipping are negligible with a 12.8kW array and the 9.6kW Sol Ark inverter, especially if you have the inverter configured for Time-of-Use mode so that it discharges batteries to supply loads before pulling from grid, and then recharges them in the morning with excess power above 9.6kW.

Ken Nadsady
    AviSun Renewable Energy
    Hudson OH
    Knadsady@avisun.net

• 6.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 06:08 AM
    @Ken Nadsady
    yes, I knew my array was oversized, that was actually my choice. My inverter can actually only handle 13k max, and 32 panels worked out almost perfectly for that. ​What I wasn't aware of, is that the inverter limited me down to 9400w total AC. I thought I could sell 10kw back, and use the extra 2.8kw to power my home. That's just lack of experience and me trying to do math in my head. When you don't have the experience, you dont even know the right questions to ask. I went back and forth with my installer for 10 months before I installed my system, and we spoke for literally hours on the phone asking and answering questions. I still call at least once a week to ask a question or 2. I've put that poor man through the ringer with all my questions.

That is a good thought though, about the degradation of the array over time. I knew about that, but not something I really thought about as far as my current production. I also knew about the bell curve for production, and clouds, and I now have a sense of how much that impacts my production because I track it daily. What I'm yet to experience is the heat aspect, because we've only peaked at around 80- here for a few days. This summer I'll be able to see how much that impacts the system. I have had several days though of not a single cloud, and that production curve is just as perfect as it can be...until it hits 9400w lol!

My installer recommended this inverter, because it was the best available that he offers and has real world experience with. I did not want anything I couldn't see some of his data on, and didn't want anything that hasn't been out for a few years to test longevity. There were other options, but he was most confident in sol-ark products so that's what I went with. I researched several other inverters before even talking with him, and was confident in sol-ark mostly because I could see it in action in a few homes around me.

I do have my batteries in TOU, and get 85% (10,500-11,000w) or so efficiency from my array when it peaks around 11 when my batteries usually hit 100%, then it drops to around 70% (usually right at 9,400w) give or take. I guess i'll live with it until I price out the 15k inverter when it is released, or just be happy with what i've got! Knowing I can easily power my entire home in the event of anything catastrophic happening to the grid, or worse, is a great feeling, so I'm happy either way.

Robert Edwards
    b1edwards@bop.gov

• 7.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 07:00 AM
    @Robert Edwards Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of a power curve from your monitoring system showing the production, consumption, and battery charge/discharge values on one of the days that illustrates what you are concerned about?  Trying to understand two things, how much energy is in the clipped area of the curve, and also if there might be some programming tweaks you can make or your installer can make to utilize more of the lost energy.  Without seeing your monitoring system and having the data, I still tend to believe that with the 1.33x array oversizing and leveraging the battery to reduce the clipping at least some, and with your 10kW export limitation, that your system is about right-sized and that replacing the inverter would not be warranted or advised. In other words, I agree you should be happy with what you got!

Ken Nadsady
    AviSun Renewable Energy
    Hudson OH
    Knadsady@avisun.net

• 8.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 08:17 AM
    Edited by Robert Edwards 02-18-2022 08:18 AM
    2-9-22 Curce@Ken Nadsady Maybe this will help. 
    As far as the inverter, Even though I may not be able to squeeze much more juice from it right now, when my central heat kicks in, it spikes to just over 14kw. Now, my 12k can hold a 10 second surge up to 16kw, but in an off grid situation (This is really what I installed solar for, not for "energy savings" or to go green, but SHTF scenario) that means I'm not using my central heat. Can I survive, sure. I've got gas heaters and 2 stand up portable A/C units with heaters that draw way less power. But, again, the decision would have to be for the price can I just upgrade to a bigger inverter and not worry about having to do any of that, and get more PV production, and be able to sell at my max rate of 10k. I'm actually limited to grid sell 9400w right now with the 12k inverter.

If it's a few thousand dollars, I'm 100% prepared to make the upgrade. If its $10k...I'll just be happy with what I got lol. My installer is already ordering me 2 additional batteries because I just want a little more reserve power. Right now I'm usually hitting my 80% DOD right around the time we wake up in the morning, so those 5-10 additional kWh will hopefully be right on target. That may not even be close to sufficient during the summer, but we'll see. 

Robert Edwards
    b1edwards@bop.gov

• 9.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 08:21 AM
    Here are my settings:
    TOU 1

TOU 2

Robert Edwards
    b1edwards@bop.gov

• 10.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 09:55 AM

I understand it is frustrating to look at an ideal solar day and see clipping. The point I am trying to make is that if you step back, take the emotion out of it, and look at what the impact really is, that in most cases the clipped energy is negligible, and the most optimal design trade-offs usually involve some slight clipping. That is, the best return on your investment, the highest energy production without overpaying for more inverter than you need.
    Another way to look at it: Inverters come in specific AC capacities, i.e. 7.6kW, 11.4kW, and in your case, 9kW (or 9.4kW, although the capacities with hybrid inverters such as yours can vary based on the function they are doing, i.e. off-grid, with grid assist, generator, etc).  So if you design an array to pair with an inverter and come up with a price, for a system that will rarely clip, say 0.05% of the annual energy lost due to clipping, it will cost $xx. That is all fine and good, but add a few more solar panels has a low delta cost and will often directly pay for itself at a much higher return than the return calculated for original quoted system (as long as you can use the energy or get net metered for it, of course).  So designers upsize the array because the economics are favorable to do so. Upsizing the inverter does not have the same payback, because you only need more inverter capacity for a small portion of the time that the system operates in a year.  So more solar panels = benefit at all times the system is operating (except a little less benefit during the infrequent clipping time), whereas more inverter = benefit ONLY during potential clipping time.

Here is another way to look at this using logic and math.  I don't know where you live in GA, but I ran a PVWatts simulation for Georgia and it defaulted to a climate data station near Macon Georgia. I ran a simulation for a 12.8kW array with premium panels, oriented due south at 30degrees tilt, with default efficiency losses and with a DC/AC ratio of 1. It calculated annual production of 19,186 kWh. Then I changed the DC/AC ratio to 1.33, such as you have with your system. Annual production dropped to 19,142. This is what the PVWatts model shows will be lost to clipping with the parameters as entered, in the middle of Georgia. I am not saying it is completely accurate for your particular system and site, because the parameter inputs may need to be tweaked to match your situation.  But this does illustrate that clipping is often far less impactful than we thik, when you look at it analytically. 44kWh per yhear x $.13/kWh = $5.72 per year. At that rate, you need a ton of years to make up for the cost of replacing your inverter.  And, your array will degrade over time and so the clipping impact will lesson over time.

Another way to look at it, I downloaded the hourly data from the PVWatts simulation described above, brought it into excel, and counted the number of hours that the array power would exceed certain values.. There were only 155 hours when it exceeded 10,000W, and 24 hours when it exceeded 11,000W. Again PVWatts is a basic simulation tool and the simulations are only as good as the inputs are realistic/accurate for the application/situation.  Still, there are 8,760 hours in a year.  Somewhere around 4,380 daylight hrs in a year. Do you want to design for 24 or even 155 hrs out of that 4,380? Or do you want to design for the 4,200 non-ideal hours of the year that your system will spend the vast majority of it's time operating in?
    If your answer is that I don't care about the economics and optimizing payback, and I just don't want to see any of my array energy not being used ever, then that is a perfectly acceptable conclusion for you. I am just trying to provide guidance and answers to your original questions that I feel are relevant.

Ken Nadsady
    AviSun Renewable Energy
    Hudson OH
    Knadsady@avisun.net

• 11.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 10:15 AM
    I understand what you are saying, but I don't have access to those models. I have no idea if I'm clipping hundreds of watts a day, or 10,000 wats a day from potential production. That's why I am asking the questions! I just know it's clipping and want to know if there is anything that can be done to maximize the potential PV that I know could be produced.

No, I'm not really worried about the economics of it. If I were, I would have never installed solar because the math doesnt add up in Georgia, because you receive half for exports as you do for imports, on top of all the hidden connection fees. You just cant win. I'm paying easily $100-$200 more per month for my system than i would if i just paid my light bill, and i'm perfectly fine with that. I'll never see any real savings unless inflation skyrockets energy costs (I'm actually kind of banking on this over the life of my loan), because by the time i pay my solar loan, i will have to start replacing batteries and components. I could have paid cash for my system, but i'm betting that that same $400 a month today will be a drop in the bucket 5, 10, and 15 years from now.

I'm really good with math too, and have spreadsheets that do all kinds of things and make all kinds of calculations, but I dont have your simulation to be able to compare it to, so i'm kind of shooting in the dark on that aspect. Thank you for the information on that, it puts it in perspective how much (really little) I am missing out on. Overall it's not enough to worry about. I still may improve my inverter or add a second smaller one for other reasons (mainly to utilize more than 9400w in the event of an emergency) but it's not as pressing for the PV production reasons based on your data above.

Robert Edwards
    b1edwards@bop.gov

• 12.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 10:35 AM

Robert I can tell you are intelligent and have really done your homework.  If you are into math and would like to investigate further, you absolutely do have access to PVWatts.   Just go to https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php and you can do your own modeling and what-if analysis. You can download the hourly production data and crunch the numbers yourself.

As for solar not making sense in GA, I am not sure I agree with that blanket statement.  Battery storage adds significant cost to a system and does little for the economics. The value of storage in most locals in the US is the energy it provides when the grid is down.  In California or other spot markets that hav TOU it can add more economic benefits, but not for most.  Straight up grid tie solar maker sense economically in most every market, and I suspect in GA as well. What is your cost per kWh?  I know assymetric net metering rules in some markets reduce the benefit, but usually it still makes sense.
    Good luck!

Ken Nadsady
    AviSun Renewable Energy
    Hudson OH
    Knadsady@avisun.net

• 13.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-23-2022 06:06 AM
    Thanks for the link! I didn't have that information, so that is helpful.

Rates in my area of: $0.097 import from power company + $35 connection fee + $7.50 "Solar" fee for "Bi-directional metering" + tax + fuel. You're at $50 before you import a single watt of energy from them, which means you have to oversell nearly +1100kwh to break even if you import zero.
    $0.045 (max) export rate. It changes every month, this month was actually $0.042.

We had a fantastic December as far as clear weather, Maybe 4-5 really bad days, but several absolutely perfect days. I still had a $90 power bill even though I sold back a lot, and have made a lot of changes to my home: all LED lighting, much more reserved on heat/cool settings, heat pump water heater on eco mode that only turns on twice a day, lots of outlets on timers, trying to run dishwasher, dryer, stuff like that only during the day as much as possible... But I didn't have batteries yet.

My first half month of having batteries, about the same weather/temp, about the same amount of bad days: bill is $60. Down from over $200 a year ago. Solar installed December, a few days before my billing cycle started. Batteries installed a few days before my billing cycle ended in February.

I have 2 weeks left in this month for my billing cycle, and I'm sitting at $35, including all the added fee's, that will be my first full month with my batteries. Unless you build a brand new home, have it perfectly sealed and do spray foam insulation, with no central A/C mini-splits only, and a heat pump water heater like I have... There is no real economic benefit for panels until they do true net metering. You just can't beat the added fee's and 1/2 price export rate. Again, I didn't install solar thinking I would save money, I knew it would actually cost more, and I was okay with that. I did the math well before I installed they system and knew I was going to lose that battle. My solar loan + power bill will never be less than my old power bill alone.

Robert Edwards
    b1edwards@bop.gov

• 14.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Chapter Leader
    Posted 02-21-2022 02:20 PM
    how about delay ur batt charging til 11 am  when clipping starts

• 15.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-23-2022 06:07 AM
    That sir, is something I will try...But I'm not sure I can adjust that. The "Charge" setting on that menu is specific to generator charge, not PV charge. I would have to play with that to find a setting.

Robert Edwards
    b1edwards@bop.gov

• 16.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 02-18-2022 08:21 AM
    I agree that oversizing the array is practiced, but it is one practice, for the most part, I don't like. Designing the inverter at or slightly above the array guarantees you never leave power on the roof. Snow reflection, cloud edge and certain cirrus conditions can push the output above the STC rating, I.E. above 1000 w/sq meter. You can usually configure the string voltage to be high on the range to keep voltage optimized for lower light levels. When I did my first array, I put in 9.18KW of panels against a 8KW inverter using published guidelines. After watching it for the first year, I kicked myself in the butt every time I saw my inverter pegged, which was allot. My upgraded array has the inverter matched to the KW of the panels, much better. Matching or oversizing the inverter also allows room for panel expansion, or a higher panel output swap out down the road.
    Aside, I hope the rules in Ga get changed so you can upscale the inverter capabilities using one of the schemes outlined, to max you panel output. Without that rule change, you are pretty much dead in the water.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 17.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-18-2022 10:07 AM
    I respect your opinion, but if I can respond to your view here and specifically your comment "Designing the inverter at or slightly above the array guarantees you never leave power on the roof."  I agree that is a true statement but I also believe that doing so in most cases guarantees (well, almost) in wasted money for inverter capacity that is hardly ever used, and that does not result in better benefit/cost ratios. Again, if you take the emotions out of it, and look at the numbers, having a DC/AC ratio of 1.15 to 1.3 as is most commonly done in the industry usually is the best way to go.
    However, to your point about oversizing the inverter for upgradeability, that can make sense IF it is very likely the customer will have a need to upgrade because of anticipated load change, and they have the roof space, and budget and sincere desire to do so.  But that is a different situation and not really relevant to the original poster's discussion.

Ken Nadsady
    AviSun Renewable Energy
    Hudson OH
    Knadsady@avisun.net

• 18.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-23-2022 06:24 AM
    @Daniel Eberhart
    ​"1. Have you tried turning up that 9400 number? My 12k Sol-Ark shows it can go to 11000.
    2. Have you looked into "soft start" systems for your furnace. I have one on my water furnace system called intellistart. It reduces peak surge startup current. I'm guessing there are generic ones that will work on any brand. It is just a small box that wires up inside the furnace. Original intent I believe was to keep the lights from dimming when the furnace kicks on. Probably just has a capacitor in it - I don't know."

1- While the sol-ark shows it can go up to 11,000w, I am limited to 10,000w by my power company. My installer told me to not go above 9400w. I will talk to sol-ark today to verify, but I believe that is because of the 9600w A/C limit of the inverter. 9400w allows a little margin for the 9600w total, and the inverter can then decrease the solar sell based on my homes load.

2- Yes, I actually asked about that, and looked into getting those. The problem isn't the brief "surge" or "Peak" amount on my system. I believe the sol ark can handle very brief surge of up to 25,000w, and can handle 16,000w for up to 10 seconds. The problem is my specific central heater runs higher than 9600w on more than just that initial surge if I am reading my chart correctly. And yeah, it basically is just a big capacitor. Something I will still look in to.

Robert Edwards
    b1edwards@bop.gov

• 19.  RE: Maximizing PV to Inverter

Posted 02-24-2022 04:29 PM
    You can try setting your battery max charge amps to a lower number.  This would cause your battery to not fill as fast and spread the charging out over more hours.  This would work like a solar peak shaving setting if there was such a thing.  The bad news is though that if you only had strong sun in the morning you may not get as much stored power.  Changing this setting combined with your two additional batteries though may allow you to either store or sell full full solar output, or more of it which is what I think you want.
     I found out about this from changing the battery discharge max amps to a lower setting.  I was able to spread the output to overnight vs dumping the full battery power in early evening. The graphs look like they would be much more friendly to the inverter and battery.

Daniel Eberhart
    dan@eberhart.net