Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  sola deck question

Posted 09-01-2021 09:23 AM
    hello.  Ive got a very simple question for my first one: Im a fairly new residential PV installer, and we are going back and forth about the rooftop j-box, the soladeck, and where we install it.  On the one hand, do you install them so they'll hide under the PV array (but then its hard to access, a panel has to be removed if ever need to access, not to mention, a panel has to be left off the array at initial installation phase, so the electrician can do his work - and so the inspector can look at it.  this means an extra visit to the site to install that last panel at the end...).  On the other hand, do you install the soladeck discreetly at the side of the array where its accessible, but not obtrusive.  I've been told this looks 'amateurish', but im not buying that.  PV installations are equipment, and hardware, and fixtures, conduit, attachments, etc etc.  One soladeck neatly tucked on the side of the array is not what's going to be amateurish - or not.  what say you?

sh

SAMUEL HALL
    FarleyBuilt Solar
    617-320-1876

• 2.  RE: sola deck question

ASES Life Member
    Posted 09-02-2021 12:22 PM
    Here's a photo of mine mounted to the side of the lower array.  I wanted it to be accessible.  Doesn't look bad, IMO.

------------------------------
    Mike Curran
    Retired from (dare I say it?) Fossil Plant Mgt.
    joacchim57@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: sola deck question

Posted 09-03-2021 09:51 AM
    Is there an electrical rule which says you must put a junction box on the roof?  So, I built my system and put the j-box downstairs next to inverter.  On the roof, I have solar panels, cabling, and MC4 connectors.  That's it.

Glenn Bowman
    glennbowman@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: sola deck question

ASES Life Member
    Posted 09-03-2021 10:56 AM
    I don't know of any rule.  I used the Soladeck enclosure because I had it leftover from another project, and it placed the terminations closer to my disconnect switches and inverters.  

My earlier (upper array in previous photo) install did not use an external junction box.  Attached photo shows it from the opposite end from previous photo.

Mike Curran
    Retired from (dare I say it?) Fossil Plant Mgt.
    joacchim57@gmail.com