Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Please Share Things You Wish You Knew When You Started My Career

Chapter Leader
    Posted 05-03-2021 02:13 PM
    Dear ASES members,

We need your help! Many of our students are finishing up their degree and heading out into the world. Please share one thing you wish you knew when you were starting your career or when you were younger. Although it's nice to be renewable-energy-field focused, our emerging professionals are open to learning about general career tips as well.

Please share your insights on this form (and below, if you'd like): https://forms.gle/Qd3hAd1jV9pNtdDV9. Entries may be anonymous if you'd like. 

Eventually, we would like to put advice on an infographic to share to students and student chapters.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

------------------------------
    Kaycee Chang
    Board of Directors
    American Solar Energy Society
    (714) 725-4380 | kchang@ases.org

• 2.  RE: Please Share Things You Wish You Knew When You Started My Career

Posted 05-04-2021 09:53 AM
    Does the Google form requires permission to be granted access? That's the message that showed up when I tried opening it. 

From own point of view, I will encourage fresh graduates to look out for career mentors in their areas of interest to guide them accordingly. That's how I started and it worked perfectly for me. 

• 3.  RE: Please Share Things You Wish You Knew When You Started My Career

Chapter Leader
    Posted 05-04-2021 09:59 AM
    Thank you, Felix. The link should work for everyone now. Please let me know if there's any trouble!

Kaycee Chang
    Board of Directors

• 4.  RE: Please Share Things You Wish You Knew When You Started My Career

Posted 05-05-2021 10:26 AM

If graduating as an engineer, take your Fundamentals of Engineering exam as soon as you and pursue your Professional Engineering degree ASAP.

BERNARD YOZWIAK
    Consultant
    Croton on Hudson NY
    BYOZWIAK@OPTONLINE.NET

• 5.  RE: Please Share Things You Wish You Knew When You Started My Career

ASES Life Member
    Posted 05-05-2021 11:28 AM
    Hi Felix - If you want to share a Google drive file, before copying it you must change permissions for the link.  Here's how: click on the 3 dots next to the file name, then click on "manage people and links", then under "link settings" click on change and you'll see that the default setting is restricted. Click on it and you'll see an option "anyone with the link", click on that and now your linked photo is viewable by anyone you share the link with, or anyone else who it's shared with.

Hope that makes sense.  - Mike

Mike Curran
    Retired from (dare I say it?) Fossil Plant Mgt.
    joacchim57@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Please Share Things You Wish You Knew When You Started My Career

Chapter Leader
    Posted 05-05-2021 01:35 PM
    Thanks, Mike... that was on me :) fixed it!

Thank you to those who have submitted responses so far. We can leave the form open until June 1 to solicit more feedback. I'll be back on the forum to remind folks to submit responses. Responses on this forum will also be appreciated.

Kaycee Chang
    Board of Directors

• 7.  RE: Please Share Things You Wish You Knew When You Started My Career

Posted 05-05-2021 08:00 PM
    My two cents will be... Get a license, get a license, get a license, or get as many licenses as you can. Whatever career you pursue, you will always need a license. A license will give you complete independence and flexibility in  your life. Therefore, start preparing yourself as soon as possible, so when you finish your career, people and companies will be begging you to work for them... But if you can create your own business and become an entrepreneur, that will be even better.

Best regards

Ivan

Ivan Flor
    IvanMFlor@hotmail.com