Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Trojan batteries

Posted 09-22-2021 11:18 AM
    I'm hoping this finds someone who knows where to get 3 Trojan L-16 SPRE 6v 415Ah@100.  I'm running a 48v system and have 3 of my 8 batteries with poor specific gravity readings.  My lowest cell in those 3 is 1.175 sg and I understand a battery bank is only as good as it's weakest link.  
         These Trojan batteries seem to be back ordered into sometime next year!  And with 5 good ones, I don't want to have to buy 8 new ones from another maker, but might have to.
        If anyone know where 3 are, I would love to hear it.

david kraus

• 2.  RE: Trojan batteries

Posted 09-23-2021 10:12 AM
    David, et al - 
    Two suggestions:
    1. Look for COSSA directory of Colorado Solar installers and you will find all kinds of helpful PV peeps that might know where to find specific Trojan batteries. http://cossa.org/members/ There is a pdf available of COSSA members.
    2. Along that same line you might call Solar Energy International and ask them for contacts that might have info abut Trojan batteries. https://www.solarenergy.org/
    They have done an amazing job of connecting with suppliers/distributors over the decades and trained hundreds of RE folk all over the world. Great resource.

--
    All the best, all the time . . .
    Thom W Johnson, PE
    Past President CRES

"you can never learn less, you can only learn more" - R Buckminster Fuller

• 3.  RE: Trojan batteries

ASES Life Member
    Posted 09-23-2021 01:28 PM
    Edited by Mike Curran 09-23-2021 01:28 PM
    Have you tried doing an equalization charge on the bank?

------------------------------
    Mike Curran
    Retired from (dare I say it?) Fossil Plant Mgt.
    joacchim57@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Trojan batteries

ASES Award Winner
    Posted 09-23-2021 02:14 PM
    You can actually go on Trojan's web site for a dealer, but these guys carry them routinely -
    https://www.solaris-shop.com/trojan-premium-spre-06-415-flooded-6v-415ah-battery/

Scott Sklar President

The Stella Group, Ltd. Arlington, VA 22201

E-mail:   solarsklar@aol.com Website:  www.TheStellaGroupLtd.com

The Stella Group, Ltd.. is a strategic technology optimization owner's rep firm for  clean energy users and companies, with a focus on system standardization, modularity and web-enabled diagnostics.  Scott Sklar is an Adjunct Professor at The George Washington University teaching three unique interdisciplinary sustainable energy courses

Scott Sklar
    President & Adj Professor
    The Stella Group, Ltd, GWU EEMI
    Arlington, VA
    solarsklar@aol.com

• 5.  RE: Trojan batteries

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 09-24-2021 09:56 AM
    Edited by william fitch 09-24-2021 10:01 AM
    If you get desperate, you could get from any NAPA dealer qty 6 - GC2 310 A. Deep cycles.

They are a 230AH 6vdc. They are very similar to the Trojan T-105's. You could make 3 pairs of 2 in parallel giving you 6VDC @ 460AH which is very close to the L16's
    They list them at $156 ea with core, but you may negotiate a better price if you have an account at their store.
    You can usually get an easy 5 years on a mostly float application. The energy yield is around 1.5KWH per battery at a 100hr rate....

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net