Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

• 1.  Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 10-29-2021 02:36 AM

There has been a lot of talk in the media lately about how Joe Manchin is trying to destroy the environment by killing the "clean electricity" provision in the reconciliation bill before the Senate. The Left hate him saying he just wants to get rich off coal and the Right hate him just because he's a Democrat.

But are we being fair to Joe Manchin, or does he have a point?

What exactly does this provision do anyway? I'm all for government helping in our transition to renewable energy. But just because someone says a proposal is a "renewable energy" provision – is it really a good and logical use of taxpayer money?

What does the Clean Electricity Provision Do?

If the $150 billion plan is described at all, reports generally state that it would reward utilities for installing clean renewable generating capacity and punish them for using fossil fuels. Sounds simple enough.

Digging into the details, it appears (I say appears because nobody really seems to know), that the bill would pay utilities if they increase the amount of energy they produce "cleanly" by 4% per year, and fine them if they don't. Remember, "clean" also includes nuclear – so be careful what you wish for. And it will pay them a lot. About three times as much per MWh as they could sell the energy for.

Initially this sounds like a good thing. Currently renewable energy sources account for about 20% of national utility electrical generation. Nuclear accounts for another 19%. So the "clean" energy on the grid is at about 39%.

If we increase the amount of clean energy generated by 4% each year, year after year, then by 2030 we should get to about 60% of all electricity generated on the grid coming from clean sources. All good, right?

It is argued that with this bill we will get to 60% (or better). Without the bill – Armageddon. Alright, here is where I have a problem with the narrative.

Does the Clean Energy Provision Actually Delay the Adoption of Clean Energy?

Wind and solar electrical generation have grown at an annual compound rate of 16.5% each year over the past decade. And that rate of growth is accelerating. Last year (2020) renewables grew by 45%. In 2020, renewable energy accounted for 90% of all new energy generation worldwide.

The reason for this is that renewable energy is far and away the least expensive form of generation. Utilities make a lot more money from renewables than they do from coal, oil, and natural gas. And with fossil fuel prices skyrocketing – the stampede to renewables should accelerate even more.

So as I see it, this proposed "renewable energy" provision will pay utilities $150 billion to do what they would do anyway because of market forces. In fact, it incentivises them to slow down the adoption of renewables to ONLY 4% per year. A utility that was planning a major solar installation may decide to spread out the development over a longer term.

For example, if they planned a large solar installation that would grow their renewable energy portfolio 8% in one year, they would only be rewarded for 4% of that growth. But the next year, if they did nothing, they would receive a fine. The obvious choice would be to only build half of the project this year, delaying the other half by a year.

Another dynamic that this bill ignores completely is that the electric market is changing – and changing in dramatic ways. Over the coming decades, centralized utilities will play a less and less dominant role in our lives as more and more consumers (industry, businesses, and homes) install their own power systems.

Imagine if, during the 1980s, the government's plan to expand the Internet was to give billions of dollars to Bell Telephone. Three decades later our communication system looks nothing like the monopoly days of "Ma Bell." Three decades from now, most people will not know the name of their local electrical utility company.

So What are the Alternatives?

One alternative is the Manchin alternative. Just proclaim it a waste of money and refuse to fund it. History will let us know how well that works out.

Another dynamic to consider stems from the wonders of compound growth. Four percent renewable energy growth in 2029 is a lot more than 4% in 2021. So most of the benefits of this plan come late in the program. Perhaps it would be wiser to wait and see. If renewable energy growth continues at a double digit rate – well then the incentive money was not needed and would have been wasted. If the growth rate slacks off, well then that would be the time to push out incentives.

Another alternative would be to give the money directly to consumers to install solar. If you are determined to spend $150 billion – I think this would be money better spent (rather than increasing profits for utilities).

Currently the US has about 100 gigawatts (GW, or a billion watts) of solar capacity installed. To install solar at the residential level, it costs about $2.50 per watt. So if the government paid half the cost of installing solar on your home, $150 billion would install another 90 gigawatts, almost doubling the amount of solar installed in this country in one stroke and meeting the climate goals well before 2030.

That probably is not going to happen. I think the utility companies have better lobbyists.

Conclusion:

In our polarized political world, everything is simplified and painted in black and white, good and evil. Joe Manchin is evil because he is trying to destroy the planet. The clean energy provision in the Build Back Better bill is good, because it is going to reduce carbon emissions by 50% in 9 years. Neither is likely true – but that doesn't make a good story or feed my internal narrative.

About 8 years ago we, as a society, experienced the end of the age of fossil fuels and entered the age of renewables. No government program will change that. Renewable energy will soon become the dominant source of power on this planet. Why? Because it is far and away the cheapest source of power. Government can speed that up a bit or slow it down a bit – but they can't change it.

------------------------------
    Jay Warmke
    Owner
    Blue Rock Station LLC
    jay@bluerockstation.com

• 2.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Posted 10-29-2021 10:18 AM

In my humble opinion, speeding it up (transition to renewable) is extremely important.  Slowing it down - or not pushing the utilities at all - is a planet killer.  Its all about reduction of GHG and getting the utilities to produce electricity without it is paramount.

Even if Manchin would agree to the alternatives that you noted, it would be helpful to the effort. 

So, I think Manchin is a villain!

Thanks for the post, Jay.

BERNARD YOZWIAK
    Consultant
    Croton on Hudson NY
    BYOZWIAK@OPTONLINE.NET

• 3.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Posted 11-01-2021 09:23 AM
    Edited by Jan Galkowski 11-01-2021 09:23 AM
    Professors Severin Borenstein, James Bushnell, Steve Cicala and Ryan Kellogg from the U.C.Berkeley Haas School wrote an article saying that the CEPP is not a clean energy standard.

While incentives for solar, wind, EVs, and batteries are good, what governments at all levels basically need to do is get out of the way. It would be good if they stopped subsidizing fossil fuels, too.

While obstacles relating to land use at the small scale will eventually be overcome by sheer economic advantage, at the moment it can be frustrating running into local opposition in places like Massachusetts, even in its non-crowded parts out west. An Energiewende-like federal mandate overruling local bylaws and such would be ideal, but I don't think that would be passed.  

As I've shared in many other places, this is unfortunate for the towns and counties which end up rejecting solar projects, whether in publicly owned open spaces, or on private farms. They are essentially dealing themselves out of the game. If they approved some projects, they could shape how the zero Carbon energy resources are deployed.  When solar and wind and storage become the absolutely essential thing to have for large companies and manufacturers, there will be huge financial incentives for those actors to offer deals towns and counties can't refuse to place these resources anywhere they like. 

In the case of Massachusetts, I also think there is a good amount of hypocrisy, championing getting off fossil fuels, yet expecting others, such as the people of Maine and Canada to give up their lands for transmission lines, solar farms, and hydropower so Massachusetts can benefit.  It's possible for people to generate their own power locally, cleanly, and quietly.  If they use electricity, they should accept their responsibility to generate it.

This extends to municipal waste as well. Massachusetts residents don't like it, but it's okay for people in upstate New York or North Carolina to have to deal with theirs.

Jan Galkowski
    retired; studying quantitative ecology of mosses
    Westwood MA
    bayesianlogic.1@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Posted 11-01-2021 09:37 AM
    This is incredibly well written.

Can I share it on my LinkedIn?

Thanks,
    Ogewu Agbese

• 5.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 11-01-2021 02:02 PM
    Of course.

Jay Warmke
    Owner
    Blue Rock Station LLC
    jay@bluerockstation.com

• 6.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Posted 11-02-2021 09:24 AM
    Thanks for the permission.  I transmitted it to my congressional rep's (along with my preference for direct payments to individuals for solar installations with means testing to limit the overall cost and to get the assistance to those who need it.

Thomas Hirsch, FAIA
    Principal
    HIRSCH GROUP ARCHITECTURE
    Madison WI
    tehirsch@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Posted 11-01-2021 11:03 AM
    Edited by Hugh Willis 11-02-2021 09:21 AM
    I agree whole-heartedly "this is incredibly well written". And informative. And logical.

I would like to add two points - 

First, the world's manufacturers cannot produce pv panels fast enough to meet a worldwide overnight explosion in demand - (And even if the chip and panel manufacturers did further accelerate ramping up their production to enable an even more rapid "one-time" shift from carbon-based to solar-based (pv) energy, how would they stay in business once that first major shift is accomplished)? 
    As Jay Warmke says, the economics of renewables are already pushing rapidly increasing demand. Do we really need the government "piling on" and making an already strained situation unmanageable?

Second - What might be the best role for the electrical utilities in a new era where distributed energy resources ("DER") are increasingly a part of the picture? And how can Congress best encourage that shift to a new role for the utilities?

As I commented in another thread recently, 

"Looking to the future, centralized power production will continue to utilize hydro and nuclear, and perhaps someday "clean" fusion. But until (if ever) controlled fusion becomes a reality, our future carbon-free electricity needs will likely be met primarily by distributed energy resources ("DER"), largely wind and pv.

"The 'Achilles heel' of DER is storage, and it is expensive. The distributed energy resources (mainly pv and wind) are not always needed when they are available, and aren't available when and where they are needed. Balancing these mismatches may be the key role for electric utilities in future.

"This can go in one of two ways - 
    (1). Our electrical utilities can be part of the solution by recasting themselves from their emphasis on being power generators (with distribution being necessary only in order to "deliver the goods") to being primarily in the electrical storage and distribution business - i.e., emphasizing moving distributed energy from when and where it is being produced to when and where it is needed; or
    (2) Distributed energy producers (i.e., [all of us] owners of wind or pv systems) can make our own "capital-intensive" investments in local storage, and drop off the grid altogether."

Only by shifting their focus from power generation to meeting their customers' energy needs via redistribution of "DER", can today's electrical utilities assure they will continue to have a key role to play in the future. Government policies to encourage this shift in role for the utilities, while we all of us continue to move ahead with our own investments in "DER" (perhaps with some government assistance, as Jay suggests) might be a far better way to go than what the current "Clean Energy" bill proposes.

Hugh Willis
    Old Engrs Never Really Retire
    GREENSBORO, NC

• 8.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Posted 11-01-2021 02:57 PM
    Well, DER doesn't really need that much storage if it's thought about and managed creatively. Yes, sharing of energy flows needs to be much more dynamic, but I think modern controls and digitization are up for that.  And plans for large scale wind+solar+water+storage, whether that storage is battery or electrolyzed water into Hydrogen, with Hydrogen burned to recapture (admittedly with big conversion losses), don't see to take advantage of features of wind+solar+water+storage in the circa 2030 time frame. 

Specifically, capital costs for wind+solar and particularly for solar are really low, as long as land is available and unconstrained. Accordingly, overbuild is a viable option.  If it's done on the meteorological synoptic scale, and say build to 4 times the median maximum electrical draw of that region per day, you only need 4-7 days of storage to handle the tail cases. All the other times, the system is generating way more than needed.  It's silly to throttle that, so why not dump it into manufacturing, or electrolyze water? 

It's estimated that capital costs per kWh of wind+solar+storage in the early 2030s will be one sixth of the cost of transmission on the grid per kWh at that time. (Transmission costs are increasing, and they'll increase further as storms get more severe.) That has serious implications for how electricity will be provided to an electricity-hungry society, particularly to big users.  Is anyone going to want to tap into the conventional grid if the cost advantages of local generation prove that good?

Jan Galkowski
    retired; studying quantitative ecology of mosses
    Westwood MA
    bayesianlogic.1@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 11-01-2021 11:31 AM
    "In our polarized political world, everything is simplified and painted in black and white, good and evil. "

Yes, it is isn't it. And do you think that just happened by accident?
    I write TFTD's (Thought For The Day) when they arrive. Here are a couple for you:
    250.   "Polarize => paralysis => keeps taxes low."

214.    "A capitalist model will NEVER do what is RIGHT over what is the most profitable, only if it leverages even greater profit in the future to something linked back to the change."

and here is one just for fun:
    231.     "How many Populists does it take to screw in a fascist?"

if you really want my opinion on good old Joe (Which you probably don't), try here:
    https://fcfcfcwearesolar.blogspot.com/2021/06/authentic-trojan-manchin.html

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com
    fcfcfc@ptd.net

• 10.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

ASES Award Winner
    Posted 11-01-2021 06:42 PM
    I am not sure the CEPP plan made sense. 32 States have Renewable Energy Portfolio Standards, and discussions have 
    moved to more and a higher array of tax credits for energy efficiency, the entire portfolio of renewable energy and
    energy storage. Payments to utilities will take longer to create rules than using private sector capital incentives which
    are proven tools. So I am saddened by the Manchin move. Frankly we need both Bills now, or the Dems are going to get creamed in the midterm elections and none of this will matter. - Best, Scott 

Scott Sklar, President, The Stella Group, Ltd.(DC) and Adjunct Professor &
    Sustainable Energy Director Environment & Energy Management Institute
    (EEMI), The George Washington University (GWU)

Scott Sklar
    President & Adj Professor
    The Stella Group, Ltd, GWU EEMI
    Arlington, VA
    solarsklar@aol.com

• 11.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-01-2021 08:48 PM
    We all know who butters Sen. Manchin's bread

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/27/politics/joe-manchin-coal-interests/index.html

Robert Foster
    Assistant Professor
    New Mexico State University, College of Engineering
    Las Cruces NM
    rfoster@ases.org

• 12.  RE: Is Joe Manchin killing a clean energy bill that probably should die?

Posted 11-02-2021 10:32 AM
    Edited by Hugh Willis 11-02-2021 11:14 AM
    (r.e. Thomas Hirsch's comment)

Tom - there is another, even simpler, way besides means testing -  "refundable" tax credits.
    Unlike the current "nonrefundable" solar tax credits, "refundable" credits are paid back to you if you don't use them to pay your income taxes.

For many years, the various Federal energy efficiency credits have all been "nonrefundable" - you could benefit from the credit only to the extent they could be used to offset your income taxes otherwise due.
    This provided a great benefit to those in the highest tax brackets - and almost none to those in the lowest brackets.
    Those credits are, in effect, subsidies for the rich and useless for others (retirees, for example) who might want to improve their home's energy efficiency.

I urge anyone who reads this to follow Thomas Hirsch's example, and contact your Congressional representatives, asking them to make solar (and other energy efficiency) tax credits much fairer by either

1.Making the credits "refundable", and so of equal benefit to all Americans willing to make investments in solar (and/or other energy savings); regardless of income status; or

2. As Tom suggests, making Federal solar subsidies be "means-tested" direct payments, limiting the overall cost while getting the assistance to those who most need it.

As a practical matter, the "refundable tax credits" way is administratively much simpler for the government to implement. Even if it maybe isn't as "fair" as means-tested rebates, it is the simplest way to get assistance to those who need it most.

Either way, the current "nonrefundable" credits system perversely reward the richest, and do little or nothing for the rest of us.

Hugh Willis
    Old Engrs Never Really Retire
    GREENSBORO, NC