Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

• 1.  Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

ASES Life Member
    Posted 01-11-2022 11:01 AM
    My client is asking for a comparison of between Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump, for an office building, in SE. Pennsylvania. 

Can anyone help me find the answer?

Thanks,

Roya Taheri, Ph.D., A.I.A., LEED AP.
    TAHERI ARCHITECTURE, INC.

Cell: (215) 600-9812
    rtaheri@taheriarch.com

• 2.  RE: Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

ASES Life Member
    Posted 01-11-2022 11:27 AM
    Roya, Great question! And one that would be great for our Division leaders and local PA folks to help answer. @John Burke @Dara Bortman @Wyldon Fishman @Robert Foster​​​​​

------------------------------
    Carly Cipolla
    Director of Engagement
    American Solar Energy Society
    http://ases.org

• 3.  RE: Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

ASES Life Member
    Posted 01-11-2022 07:23 PM
    Roya,
    Give us a bit more information. Is the house using less energy than it produces? Battery Back up? Which heat pump load with which solar collectors? Will the water runs be maximized.
    I encourage you to join our technical division for building science. We should be offering AIA CEUs on a topic like this one as it is a thermal, passive and electric calculation. Add in lighting loads and proper windowing, etc. 
    Thanks, Dara for your good answer.
    W

Wyldon Fishman
    Bronx NY
    wyldon1@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

ASES Life Member
    Posted 01-11-2022 03:05 PM
    Hi Roya - 
    I believe we've met before at meetings in various places. Nice to "meet" you again.  It depends on what they use the hot water for, how it's heated now, how much they use, how often, etc., but generally in PA, knowing that we have 4 real seasons with a cold (very cold today!) winter, etc., PV is going to pay for itself much quicker and offset their overall electricity expenses too in addition to hot water.  The cost of PV system have come down over 80% in the past 10 years.  The cost of solar water heating systems are actually about the same...and maybe a bit more right now with the cost of materials, including copper, quite high.  We can discuss further offline if you like and want to get me a bit more information.  You can email me at dara@exactsolar.com.
    Thanks!
    Dara

Dara Bortman
    Exact Solar
    Yardley PA
    dara@exactsolar.com

• 5.  RE: Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

ASES Life Member
    Posted 01-11-2022 03:07 PM
    Crap!  Sorry! Just realized I misread your message - PV vs heatpump...not hot water.  There are other questions for that.  What do they use now to heat the building (gas, oil, electricity?), how much do they use, what type of space is it, what type of roof and access to sun do they have, etc.  Also can email me separately to discuss that too if you like.
    :-)
    Dara

Dara Bortman
    Exact Solar
    Yardley PA
    dara@exactsolar.com

• 6.  RE: Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

ASES Life Member
    Posted 01-12-2022 09:01 AM
    Thank you for your responses.
    The office building now uses oil as fuel. They are thinking of using propane gas for the new building which will replace the old building. We are designing a sloped roof. I will contact you with more detail. The question was comparison between a heat pump system (probably air to air), with PV solar system.

Roya Taheri
    President
    Taheri Architecture, Inc.
    Philadelphia PA
    rtaheri@taheriarch.com

• 7.  RE: Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

Chapter Leader
    Posted 01-13-2022 12:57 PM
    no brainer ---go pv w heatpump over oil and especially propane gas       solar pv costs continue to decline but oil and prop continue to rise and pollute

• 8.  RE: Life Cycle Cost Analysis of PV Solar versus Heat Pump

Posted 01-15-2022 09:28 PM
    Roya:

Your first consideration is the energy efficiency of the building.  I have lived in a PV powered off-grid house for 26 years that I built to be very efficient with the technology available at the time.  Building technology is better today.  Despite the construction techniques I would do differently today I have found that heat pump technology, which is also dramatically improving in efficiency, very effectively contributes to the heating and cooling of my house. I say "contributes to" because my house also has passive solar features that greatly mitigate heating needs on sunny winter days. An office building is bigger but benefits from a larger volume to surface area ratio.  I see no reason why a well designed and constructed energy efficient building would not be more cost effectively heated and cooled by solar powered heat pump technology than a fossil fueled building.

Joe Schiller
    Professor
    Tennessee Solar Energy Association
    Clarksville
    joeschiller8@gmail.com