Ask a Renewable Energy Expert

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Hydrogen Breakthrough? COP26

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 11-23-2021 02:39 PM
    Hi all!

I'm just now looking at the conclusions from COP26, and one was that by 2030, there will be affordable low-carbon hydrogen globally available. 

Looking into it a bit more, I wasn't aware that hydrogen is used broadly in two ways: burnt to produce heat or fed into a fuel cell to make electricity. 

I was wondering if someone could briefly explain more? Also is there a good website to see if we're on track for our 2030 goal?

Thank you in advance!

------------------------------
    Ella Nielsen
    Membership & Online Community Intern
    American Solar Energy Society
    Boulder CO
    enielsen@ases.org

• 2.  RE: Hydrogen Breakthrough? COP26

Posted 11-24-2021 08:09 AM

• 3.  RE: Hydrogen Breakthrough? COP26

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 11-29-2021 10:52 AM
    This is a great resource! Thanks so much I appreciate it.

Ella Nielsen
    Boulder CO
    enielsen@ases.org

• 4.  RE: Hydrogen Breakthrough? COP26

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-29-2021 05:25 PM
    Hydrogen goes by two definitions at this time: green hydrogen is made with renewable energy and gray is made with fossil fuels or nuclear power. New York State just announced a greenish gray deal with Plug Power of Rochester, NY. I don't consider electricity from a dam's turbines as green but the New York Power Authority does and they own Niagara Falls and 13 turbines in the St Lawrence River. Plug Power will run a new factory making fuel cells with cheap NYPA power. Then, they'll power their Rochester offices and plant at the old Eastman Kodak campus with the power produced by fuel cells.

Hydrogen put into a pipeline under pressure is a risk. Many want to ship it. Fuel cells are barely renewable as they do require changing out the multilayered fins which get dirty over time. The cleaner the fuel the cleaner the fins remain.

Germany is probably a couple of steps ahead of everyone in the race to secure gray hydrogen for transportation.

COP 26 ticked off the corporations as they are scrambling to develop strategic plans and governments let 'em down.

Discuss?

PS Renewable energy: Solar (solar thermal, PV, smartly built buildings), wind, mining garbage dumps for methane, ground source heat transfer/geothermal and marine/tidal. I don't count dams. And, why not apply energy efficiency to everything to lower our future for energy usage forever.

Wyldon Fishman
    Bronx NY
    wyldon1@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Hydrogen Breakthrough? COP26

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 12-05-2021 03:18 PM
    Edited by Ella Nielsen 12-05-2021 03:17 PM
    Thank you Wyldon for your incredibly helpful explanation. I am familiar with the 13 turbines in the St. Lawrence River as I went to St. Lawrence University in Update New York! 

I look forward to seeing more green hydrogen projects popping up more due to the 2030 goal.

Ella Nielsen
    Boulder CO
    enielsen@ases.org