Ask a Renewable Energy Expert

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Blank screens on SMA Sunny Boy 10000TL-US inverters

Chapter Leader
    Posted 05-09-2023 08:57 AM

Greetings Sunny Boy users!

I was inspecting a solar array for a school yesterday. They wanted me to investigate a discrepancy between energy produced and energy billed under their PPA with the system owner. All 9 of the Sunny Boy 10000TL-US inverters had functioning LEDs but none of the displays worked. I have seen faded disp

Sunny Boy 10kW 208V inverter

lay screens on this series of inverter before but have never encountered no duisplay whatsoever. The inverters are oriented to face due south, so that will likely fade the display screens.

Since lawyers are involved, I chose not to open the inverters without permission of the system owner. If given permission, I would inspect to see if the display has been disconnected internally. Repeated knocking on the front of the inverter could not activate any of the 9 inverter displays.

My question to everyone is "How common is it to have no display on your inverter at all?" It seems odd that all 9 inverters would provide no output.

Thanks for your inputs.

Rich

------------------------------
    Rich Stromberg
    ESS Program Director
    Equitable Solar Solutions/Coldharbour Inst.

• 2.  RE: Blank screens on SMA Sunny Boy 10000TL-US inverters

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 05-09-2023 02:27 PM

I had a SMA sunny boy 8000 unit. Never had a blank display though after tapping. The discrepancy you speak of, how big is it? Or to put it simply, is there any power being gended? 
    The fact that 9 are sharing the same problem makes the blankness attributable to "failure" pretty remote.
    From an install point of view, I don't know why you would disable even if possible. More info is usually better..... even if they had remote monitoring...

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com

• 3.  RE: Blank screens on SMA Sunny Boy 10000TL-US inverters

Chapter Leader
    Posted 05-09-2023 06:49 PM

Thanks William. That is in line with my past experience when I have inspected systems with SMA inverters. 

Rich Stromberg
    ESS Program Director
    Equitable Solar Solutions/Coldharbour Inst.