Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Possibly of interest - BBC Future Article on a "sun engine' in 1913

Posted 04-21-2023 09:42 AM

Stephen Dowling reports for BBC Future on a Steam Punk solar power project - totally real!

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230420-the-forgotten-20th-century-sun-engine

Reference:

The forgotten 20th Century 'Sun engine' 
    Stephen Dowling
    BBC Future
    21st April 2023 

------------------------------
    Robert McGrath
    Urbana, Illiniois

• 2.  RE: Possibly of interest - BBC Future Article on a "sun engine' in 1913

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 04-21-2023 01:22 PM
    Edited by william fitch 04-22-2023 08:34 AM

"Shuman's invention was soon dealt a double blow, however – the arrival of World War One, and the discovery of cheap oil in the Middle East and elsewhere. "

And that pretty much sums it up. Still does today. And hence, there is the problem.
    We have known for a long time what the correct direction was to go. Tech was never the problem.
    "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin pretty much says it all....

I built a parabolic linear tracking collector back in the 70's in the backyard of an apartment I was renting. I knew the land lord and he didn't care if I experimented with "stuff". Those were the days of back to back fun.... Club dance scene, long nights of music, dance and lots of xx chromosomes.

Sarah McLachlan's, "Building a Mystery" from her Surface Album in '97, sums up that environment nicely, though 20 years later.

"You come out at nightThat's when the energy comesAnd the dark side's lightAnd the vampires roamYou strut your rasta wearAnd your suicide poemAnd a cross from a faith that diedBefore Jesus cameYou're building a mystery"

Nice article though. But I have to admit, I don't get the "steam punk" connection, other than the word steam...

TFTD #309. "Invention is the rocket fuel that propels man technologically forward, for better or worse."

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com