Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

• 1.  What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 10-10-2023 11:25 AM

Do you have any suggestions about urgent and/or important themes facing the energy transition that Solar Today could cover in 2024 and 2025? If so, please post your ideas here or send me a message. Thanks in advance for your recommendations. 

------------------------------
    Kat Friedrich
    Editor in Chief
    American Solar Energy Society
    Monona WI

• 2.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Posted 10-13-2023 07:53 AM

The following two topics can be of interest:

1-Energy Storage at Residential and Community Levels: It is advisable to address the matter of energy storage, particularly within the residential and community levels. The adoption of batteries and mini-pumped hydro storage systems can be facilitated through the implementation of appropriate incentives and raising public awareness about the importance of storage at this step of the energy transition.

2-Policy Frameworks: Recent months have witnessed a reversal of policies which undermine the progress of the energy transition. An analysis of the role of society in ensuring that long-term favorable policies are held in place can offer valuable insights and guidance to the public.

Elias OUEDRAOGO
    Business Developer
    Future Energy Company

• 3.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 10-13-2023 11:08 AM

Thank you, Elias. We are asking about these topics on our Solar Today survey that will be sent out next week. We currently plan to cover some policy-related subjects in 2024. 

Kat Friedrich
    Editor in Chief
    Monona WI

• 4.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Posted 10-16-2023 12:21 PM

Hi Kat,

A thermal battery charged by solar and or wind.  I heard a Volts podcast by David Roberts recently that has me excited where he interviewed Andrew Ponec, CEO of Antora Energy.  https://antoraenergy.com/

There is another podcast with John O'Donnell, CEO of Rondo Energy. https://rondo.com/

These exciting technologies are using wind and solar electricity to decarbonize industrial heat, which represents fully a quarter of all human final energy consumption.

• 5.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 10-19-2023 11:50 AM

Hi Bruce, 

Could you share links to these podcast episodes?

Thank you,

Kat

Kat Friedrich
    Editor in Chief
    Monona WI

• 6.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Chapter Leader
    Posted 10-16-2023 10:47 AM
    Re: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025 ?

Thank you,
        As in the distant and recent 'past', I do recommend that ASES (and Solar Today) cover the appropriate use of the knowledge shared by other solar folks, during the past few decades... "D-I-Y Solar PV assembly. use and installation" ! These options have bee 'proven' to succeed with years of continued use and enjoyment, sharing the processes involved, as well as enjoying a 'solar home' that the owners had the desire to 'do it themselves'. ('Step by step' procedures, tools and recommended materials are available) !
        No, we don't hear from many Solar D-I-Y enthusiasts, unless there are 'documented' accounts of the 'processes and successes', concerning the D-I-Y approach to independent solar lifestyle ! My departed associate and partner, Dr. Richard Komp (left this Earth, 2016), after sharing his book "Practical Photovoltaics, Electricity from Solar Cells" (*1981, aatech publications, Ann Arbor, MI), in which he describes every step involved with the D-I-Y Solar PV approach ! I was lucky to have spent years with Richard and many opportunities to put the steps for 'energy independence' for those who wanted to get a taste of how 'simple' it is to assemble a PV module, using easily obtained, 'blemished or not' components ! (We did assemble PV modules with at least 150 groups and individuals, over the years) !
        We did focus with groups, that had 'no experience', of 'all ages', and for 'low cost' to the participants, and did produce over 6kW of PV, that were assembled in simple, 'one-day' workshops over a 15 year span, of shared enjoyment ! The resulting product was 'superior' to the factory produced PV modules in many aspects, including the great feeling of the participants upon completion ! I could go on about the resulting D-I-Y PV modules as well as the folks we do hear from. The 65W PV modules did cost about $2./W, but the enthusiasm and joy upon completion is not measured in dollars and cents ! (The simple installation of these modules was done with 'group learning' again, with the basic components; battery, wiring and electric fixtures, desired by the home-owner) ! Dr Komp was famous for his description of the PV assembly process ... "It's not Rocket surgery" !

John Burke, 
    (Chair PV Div. ASES, Inc.)
    Maine Solar Energy Assoc., Inc.
    Downeast Alternative Design Solar, Inc.
    PO Box 184, Jonesport, Me 04649
    17 Rockwell Rd, SE, Jonesport, Me 04649
    (207) 497-2204 - (land-line & ans mach)

• 7.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Posted 10-17-2023 12:30 PM

I've been working as a "DIY Solar Consultant" for the last 15 years. Originally as "Cinci Home Solar" and lately as DIY SOLAR HELPER. I've got well over 100 jobs completed where I do the paperwork, make design recommendations, PASS THROUGH my "dealer" pricing, and then SUPERVISE the DIY "CREW" as they work on the job. When it's all done, I sign off all the warrantees (NABCEP #032611-321) and they have ALL the benefits at just under 50% of what "brick and mortar" solar installs would cost. If anybody has an need for info or to hear some of my stories, I would welcome your call at 513-616-6044. I've done systems from 4K up to 60K, grid tied (backfeed), no back-feed, limited backfeed, OFF GRID, FLA, SLA and 3 years now into LiFePo4 batteries. I LIVE OFF GRID. I've also done solar thermal (from roof mounted panels) into storage then out through a manifold to IN FLOOR RADIANT (Pex) distribution. I've made lots and lots of mistakes, and learned from them (I don't screw up much any more...)  Nothing like lots of EXPERIENCE to make an install go smoothly!!!

Joe Utasi
    PV Solar Consultant
    Cinci Home Solar, Keowee Home Solar, DIY Solar Helper

• 8.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

ASES Life Member
    Posted 10-18-2023 11:01 AM

Regarding the recommendation by John Burke to publicize DIY solar module assembly, I feel this would be dangerous and unwise for several reasons.I have respect for Komp's work in bringing PV to developing countries but that is now obsolete. 

1. Only modules which pass UL certification can be attached to the grid. So these home-made jobs would only be acceptable for off-grid appications. 

2. It may have made sense 20-30 years ago when he and his mentor Richard Komp championed this approach because modules cost 50X more than they do today. But given the incredible price reduction, it hardly seems worth the time and effort to gather the components, learn the specialty soldering and complex process of encapsulation. Modules with 60 cells and 3 bus bars will have nearly 200 solder joints if you include the riboon tabbing. If one solder joint is a cold solder joint or high resistance the entire module will be compromised and could catch fire. 

3. Encapsulation is critical to lifetime of the module. The encapsulation process has evolved tremendously since the 80s and involves precise thermal control and UV 'hardening' of EVA on products a large as a dinner table. It is highly unlikely someone in their workshop is going to develop the skills needed to encapsulate a very large multilayer stack of different materials over large areas. The DIY module maker will be very disappointed wehn their module fails after a few months or years after all of their effort. 

Steve 

Steven Hegedus
    Professor and Senior Scientist
    University of Delaware
    Newark Delaware

• 9.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Chapter Leader
    Posted 10-18-2023 11:40 AM

Steven - We promote D-I-Y PV assembly, as well as 'Off-Grid' solar home utilization. We have never had any instance of 'fire' from the 'hand-made' PV that we continue to assemble, with folks with 'no' experience at all ! If you want to be 'dependent' on the 'professional' PV installs and factory assembled modules, that is 'up to you' !  

The resilience of the inventive folks we have worked with (for more than 30 years), here in Maine, across the US, as well as with 'low-income' communities around the world (five continents), where the shipping alone for 'factory' manufactured PV (now almost 70% from China), allows for those low-income folks to pay more than we do in the US (x 5), and that's enough reason to help those folks, start their own 'hand-made' solar PV business, to share with their neighboring communities. The factory PV is now only expected to last for 10-15 years,. and the 'hand-made' PV exceeds that !

Thanks for your enthusiasm with the 'factory' assembled PV ... but I don't agree. In fact, I keep in touch with many of the folks associated with the local groups and the 'low-income' communities we have associated with and they continue with their praise of the processes established by Dr. Komp. Now spread to over 30 countries, many are still assembling PV, and using the small modules (65w), that were designed for installations, done for 'off-road' communities where the modules must be delivered' by bicycle ! I do use factory PV modules and can compare 'side-by-side' with PV modules assembled by folks with 'no experience', and as Rich Komp has said "It's not brain science" ! Or, wasn't that the way it went ?

Keep up your 'good work' in Delaware,. but 'beware' ... the factory produced PV has greater 'failure' % than hand-made PV ! ... "Just sayin' " !

John Burke (PV Tech Div, Chair)

MESEA, Inc.; DADSolar, Inc.

Jonesport, Maine

John Burke
    Director, MESEA, Maine
    Maine Solar Energy Association; Downeast Alternative Design Solar, Inc
    Jonesport ME

• 10.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Posted 10-18-2023 01:41 PM

As my "introduction" to solar 16  years ago, I built my first panel from a "kit" of raw blue cells with tabs. As a BSEE, I figured I should certainly be able to do this. Well, I did!! I even built a small thin box and put glass in front to protect from the weather. I tried it VENTED as well as SEALED. No matter which, it ALWAYS got LOTS of CONDENSATION inside the box, which would drip down onto the cells. In a matter of months, it had corroded some of my solder joints rendering the panel worthless. I'm only sharing this, to perhaps get some enlightened individual comments on how to AVOID CONDENSATION IN HOME MADE SOLAR PANELS....

Joe Utasi
    PV Solar Consultant
    Cinci Home Solar, Keowee Home Solar, DIY Solar Helper

• 11.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 10-13-2023 01:51 PM

For me, as I see it, the largest hurtles are no longer technological ones. They are opposition barriers from the entrenched interests. Those interests come from many directions. Pricing is at parity or just above or just below. This is the point where just a little bit of an increase in take-up, can finish the economies to scale so that it is cheaper everywhere. I think allot will depend on the 2024 elections, especially in the USA. Its not about stopping RE, its about effecting the adoption rates...

But that being said, I think everyone in RE is well aware of the issues I just outlined...

You must separate all the non-related BS from the facts, and make the case for adoption about that. In short, exactly the opposite of what the FFI and associated interests are doing...

Just as we have the separation of church and state, we need the separation of social and energy.

If you can get the RE adoption rates high enough, the social equity will take care of itself. Whatever remains out of balance at that point, you are then fighting Capitalism.

The financial case, more than ever, can be made for RE.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com

• 12.  RE: What themes do you recommend Solar Today cover in 2024 and 2025?

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 10-18-2023 02:44 PM
    Edited by william fitch 10-20-2023 09:20 AM

Without replying to anyone specific below/above, I am the first one to go on and on about DIY and projects. I could be a poster child for that, be it good or bad...

With that said, let's step back a bit. The WHOLE purpose big picture for RE is to keep from cooking ourselves, with other side benefits as well. We (Humans) are not going to save the planet (From ourselves) by trying to turn everyone into a DIY'er building their own PV or thermal panels. It just CANNOT happen. I mean to be frank, we can not even get a majority on board, just trying to see what the problem is, let alone to start building ticker-toy PV panels and hope they work, for 20+ years. Again, as an educational exercise for learning electrical and solar PV, bring it on. But as solving our slightly pressing problem, no.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com