Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Powerwall and single phase operation

Posted 03-15-2022 07:39 AM
    (I'm a novice to single phase.) I have a powerwall which I understand is single phase. The Tesla panel has a dual breaker labeled Powerwall and one labeled Solar.  First question is, dual breakers  look like split phase, not what I imagine single phase would be?

Second question. Is the powerwall breaker.receiving split phase from the powerwall and is the solar breaker (Solar edge se6000 inverter) feeding single phase to the powerwall? 

Third question. Those sets of breakers are next to each other. Are they on the same buss and is that buss, or just the output of the powerwall, feeding into my main house panel? 

Thanks

Nicholas Cobun

• 2.  RE: Powerwall and single phase operation

Posted 03-18-2022 04:24 PM
    US current is split-phase @220vac/60Hz nom.
    PowerWalls grid form same in off-grid mode. They use frequency shifting to signal battery state of charge or zero-export curtailment instructions.
    Hope that helped..
    Vic Aguilar
    Sustainable Energy Consultant
    NABCEP COK#081309
    (626)633-6682
    Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

• 3.  RE: Powerwall and single phase operation

Posted 03-21-2022 10:50 AM
     To be more accurate here - do not confuse the term "split phase" with ("double phase" - which doesn't exist). In the USA, there is ONLY single and three phase wiring systems.  Not ever a double phase.

Split phase is simply the "single phase", that has been split in half to give an overall 240 VAC difference across (2) buss bars.  There are (2) buss bars in most home systems, therefore you will see a double pole breaker (and we really should call them split phase breakers as to not confuse us with the name double phase - which as I said, doesn't really exist).

Also a correction on calling it "220 volts".  In the 1930's that's what it was called.  Over the past (90) years, the utility voltages have been creeping / dialed up to be more like 250 volts AC.  You'll never see a modern appliance now ever say "220 volts" , or 110 volts nomenclatures .  Keep up with the modern age http://www.sustainergyadvisors.com  !!!

Best Regards,

Dave Merrill

SunAir Systems LLC

NABCEP, Certified Solar Installer

(815) 234-2530  

(815) 262-2831  cell

• 4.  RE: Powerwall and single phase operation

Posted 03-18-2022 04:28 PM
    FYI...GW2labeleddiagram.jpg
    Vic Aguilar
    Sustainable Energy Consultant
    NABCEP COK#081309
    (626)633-6682
    Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

• 5.  RE: Powerwall and single phase operation

Posted 03-19-2022 06:44 AM
    Thanks for the trouble you took showing me your Tesla panel.  It doesnt seem to relate to my panel as I described in my questions which I previously stated..

"The Tesla panel has a dual breaker labeled Powerwall and one labeled Solar.  First question is, dual breakers look like split phase, not what I imagine single phase would be?

Second question. Is the powerwall breaker.receiving split phase from the powerwall and is the solar breaker (Solar edge se6000 inverter) feeding single phase to the powerwall? 

Third question. Those sets of breakers are next to each other. Are they on the same buss and is that buss, or just the output of the powerwall, feeding into my main house panel?  '

Nicholas Cobun

• 6.  RE: Powerwall and single phase operation

Posted 03-21-2022 07:49 PM
    Nicholas, both your powerwall and the SolarEdge 6000H inverter connect at 240V single phase. As Dave explained, there is single phase or three phase. Split phase is a term used to describe single phase 240V that has a third conductor, the neutral, that is essentially connected to the center tap of the utility company transformer that supplies your power, to give you 240V line to line or 120V from L1 to neutral or 120V from L2 to neutral. It is still only single phase, but as you observed you need a dual-pole breaker that spans both L1 and L2 buses in order to access 240V for a load or source. A single pole breaker connects to only L1 or L2, so the load it serves, with the return path to neutral bus , is supplied with 120V.

------------------------------
    Ken Nadsady
    AviSun Renewable Energy
    Hudson OH
    Knadsady@avisun.net
    ------------------------------