Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  World's first and only Shade Mitigation patent issued

Posted 05-06-2022 08:45 AM

After 2 years of R&D I'm happy to announce a patent has been issued from the USPTO this week for my solar Shade Mitigation device. 
    This device comes with dozens of benefits and new technologies over present practices and does so without the use of any blocking diodes, an instant power output increase!
    It's currently in use in the field with more long term testing scheduled. So far it's been working flawlessly. 

------------------------------
    John Ickes
    Proprietor
    Pine Hollow General Repair LLC
    johnickes54@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: World's first and only Shade Mitigation patent issued

Posted 05-09-2022 10:52 AM
    \o\ Woo!
    That sounds great, John. Are you able to explain how your device works in layperson terms? I'd be really interested to hear how such a device would integrate into a system.

Christopher Jewsbury
    chrurysanson@aim.com
    http://www.chrury.net

• 3.  RE: World's first and only Shade Mitigation patent issued

Posted 05-10-2022 09:19 AM
    Hi Christopher, I would love to tell you more but most of it is proprietary. I did reply to Mike in this thread on some of it's advantages over current technology I can refer you to.

I hope you find it useful.

john

John Ickes
    Proprietor
    johnickes54@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: World's first and only Shade Mitigation patent issued

Posted 05-10-2022 01:24 PM
    Haha, of course. Can't let the design leak.
    Reading your reply to Mike, it sounds extremely promising. If it's cost effective, PV systems can use all the efficiency they can get. I wish you all the best for the extended testing and (hopefully!) future product deployment!

Christopher Jewsbury
    chrurysanson@aim.com
    http://www.chrury.net

• 5.  RE: World's first and only Shade Mitigation patent issued

Posted 05-11-2022 05:56 AM
    Edited by John Ickes 05-11-2022 07:12 AM
    Thank you Christopher. The easy part is over. Finding an interested company is the hard part.
    The solar industry in general is currently in decline due to supply and shipping issues. One well known company’s stock price per share has plummeted from last quarter of 2021, $1.98 per share, to the first quarter of 2022, $ -.41 per share. The earnings issues are across the board for all solar companies as the economy continues to contract. Once things begin to recover, solar will no doubt go ballistic from all of the pent up demand.
    So hang on, rough seas ahead but followed by smooth sailing!

John Ickes
    Proprietor
    johnickes54@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: World's first and only Shade Mitigation patent issued

ASES Life Member
    Posted 05-09-2022 05:28 PM
    Hi John - I'm curious, how is your system different from what is currently offered by Tigo (and others probably)?  I have Tigo optimizers on every panel in my garage rooftop DC array and today the optimizers provided an additional 1.13kwh of energy that would otherwise have been lost due to shading.
    Shows energy saved due to shading optimization, and total energy for today

Mike Curran
    Retired from (dare I say it?) Fossil Plant Mgt.
    joacchim57@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: World's first and only Shade Mitigation patent issued

Posted 05-10-2022 09:10 AM
    Hi Mike, while much of SonSpot operation is proprietary I can tell you these benefits over current technology.
    SonSpot is the only True Shade Mitigation system. All others are shade management at best.
    It's standalone, autonomous, cost effective and cost free operation. It's also the only device that isn't parasitic
    to the power your panels are producing to keep them in operation. Optimizers are power hungry even in early morning
    and late afternoon hours when the sun is low in the sky. Optimizers work best during peak hours where shading isn't
    an issue like long shadowing in morning and evening.
    It operates in string, parallel or micro-inverter configuration.
    Increases power output through shade mitigation and eliminating blocking diodes.
    Eliminates fade-in preventing electronics power cycling dozens of times at startup and increasing their lifespan.
    Mitigates panel degradation due to shading.
    Mitigates string voltage drop and hot spotting due to shading.
    Has remote emergency shutoff at the panel for firefighter safety.
    It's applications are commercial, residential and for small recreational panels
    with an operating range of 10W to 5.5kW.
    Like in any industry selling products they will tell you what you want to hear to make
    the sale and solar in no different. Check out the informative link below on optimizes.

https://www.sma-sunny.com/us/the-top-10-most-common-myths-about-traditional-dc-power-optimizers-part-2-of-3/

Thanks for asking about SonSpot Mike. I hope this was helpful.

john

John Ickes
    Proprietor
    johnickes54@gmail.com