Ask a Renewable Energy Expert

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Comprehensive Resource for available thin-film laminate PVs

ASES Life Member
    Posted 10-20-2021 08:46 AM
    In the current supply-chain difficulties, I am looking for a comprehensive summary of Thin Film Laminate PV modules currently available that compares:
    Efficiency, Cost, Availability issues, and Installer, Client Satisfaction.  Can someone guide me, please?

------------------------------
    W Ben Vernon
    bvernon@surgone.com

• 2.  RE: Comprehensive Resource for available thin-film laminate PVs

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-11-2021 08:01 AM
    Hi Walter, 

Thanks for your questions! I am going to tag @John Burke here to help answer your question. He is our solar PV technical expert!

Sincerely,

Carly Cipolla
    Director of Operations
    American Solar Energy Society
    http://ases.org

• 3.  RE: Comprehensive Resource for available thin-film laminate PVs

Chapter Leader
    Posted 11-11-2021 08:36 AM
    Walter -
         I'm 'not' an expert ! I am the 'Chair' of the ASES PV Tech Division ! We do have 'opinions'' concerning the efficiency of 'thin-film' PV modules when compared to Si crystalline PV modules ! Thin-film (amorphous Si) modules start out at approximately 'one-half' the power output, when compared to the Si Crystalline PV, per square foot ! The comparison and efficiency rate of 'thin-film ' PV does 'get worse over time' and there seems to be a 50% loss of efficiency after a year or two.
         Of course there is an advantage with a 'lower' initial cost of thin-film PV, as well as less chance of certain conditions (soldering joints degrading, and weather related conditions). We do recommend 'First Solar' (Toledo, OH), for a reputable 'thin -film' US PV manufacturer ... they may have additional 'comprehensive' resources available ! Thank you for your interest is Solar PV  ! I hope you do find the best available PV for your needs !

John Burke
    Director, MESEA, Maine
    Maine Solar Energy Association
    dadsolar@yahoo.com