Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Tax Credit on Joint Return

Posted 07-11-2022 11:46 AM
    Does it matter that the rooftop solar purchase contract is in my name only, if we will be filing a joint return, with combined tax liability on joint income?  Or should I get it changed to be in both names?  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Peter Lafford
    plafford@asu.edu

• 2.  RE: Tax Credit on Joint Return

Posted 07-12-2022 09:38 AM
    Can anyone  there  can help with this? Vision  solar put my panel since January  and left the job incomplete,  because I still not have the service, paying  this loan  for some service that  I don't  have and keeping  paying  my Lakeland  fl electric �� I would appreciate  any help that can get..
    This is my email

• 3.  RE: Tax Credit on Joint Return

Posted 07-12-2022 07:33 PM
    Peter, I am not an accountant or a tax lawyer so please do not take this as any kind of legal advice, but no, I do not believe it matters that your solar contract is in only one name where a couple files tax returns jointly.  I  am owner of a solar contractor business.  You never send the contract to the IRS. You simply complete Federal Form 5695 with the total cost of the installed solar system and some other basic info and attach it to your return. Of course you should keep the contract and any invoices or other documentation with your tax return in case you need to show proof of the installation during an audit.
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf
    -Ken

Ken Nadsady
    AviSun Renewable Energy
    Hudson OH
    Knadsady@avisun.net