Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Captain Sol Brigade Recruits

Posted 11-04-2021 03:33 PM
      |   view attached
    We intend to donate Captain Sol to the Solar Industry. We're not sure quite yet how that would happen or to which organization. But the point is we feel the benefits of all Captain Sol Brigade work should accrue to the industry and not to any one sales organization.

Committee work is underway designing curriculums for different levels K-12 and an internship program for high school students has been launched. We fully intend to share this with the industry, so that individual sales organizations can learn to leverage the equity of Captain Sol.

We need other folks who are interested in this work. Please contact me if you want to join us.

See attached document.

--
    Captain Sol
    Winston Riley
    816-207-9899
    Bask Solar Company
    AskMeAbout.solar
    CaptainSol.com

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Captain Sol Brigade Recruits

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-05-2021 09:49 AM
    I can see Captain Sol organizing an event at SOLAR 2022 such as a fun run/walk and then again during the National Solar Tour. I saw him/her at SOLAR 2021 and was intrigued. 

I like the he/she direction so perhaps the character drawing needs to change. The version at SOLAR 2021 was headed in a good direction.

The web site captainsol.com needs to point to the tab on the main web site of askmeabout.solr for now. 

I'd suggest using some of the educational information for K-12 already on the ASES website for starters.

Great idea. I am not sure exactly what "joining us" entails, but I am interested in advising on a limited basis at the moment.

------------------------------
    Debra Coleman
    Architect
    Sun Plans
    debra28@sunplans.com
    https://www.sunplans.com
    Vice-chair Solar Buildings Tech Div.

• 3.  RE: Captain Sol Brigade Recruits

Posted 11-05-2021 10:09 AM
    In reply to Debra Coleman:

I'm in talks with both Carlys right now about several Captain Sol events. And yes, your ideas are excellent so thank you so much.

As to Captain Sol being all of us, I've retained the company who did my original art direction of the icon design, from my original sketch to do a rendering of a brigade of Captain Sols which will depict the image of all body shapes and sizes, gender, race, etc. But in the document itself, it already mentions that he/she has already evolved past the original design.

Yes, the Captainsol.com will eventually point to the AskmeAbout.solar but I've waited because I knew it would evolve. But thanks again, you are correct and I appreciate your thinking. It shows we're aligned. I've purchased that domain and there is already a place for more content about Captain Sol on the AskMeAbout.solar portal. But frankly, I am already feeling uncomfortable claiming sole rights. Yes, I created him but not he/she needs to belong to the industry.

Your suggestion to using some of the educational information for K-12 already on the ASES website for starters certainly is also correct. What we don't have to start over on just gives us that much momentum. Basically, at this point I'm just trying to recruit. I have started this kind of thing before and I've learned that quickly it will develop a life of its own, based on the energy that participants invest. This is a call for anyone to join the committee. Also looking for a chairman of the committee. Also need teachers and students involved. Our first meeting with high schoolers on this bigger idea is tomorrow.

The "joining us" is what you just did by sending this message. Later we'll sort out who can and will do "what."

Many thanks,

Winston RILEY
    Owner
    Bask Solar Company
    Lee's Summit MO
    basksolarco@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Captain Sol Brigade Recruits

Chapter Leader
    Posted 11-05-2021 10:10 AM
    Captain Sol ! ... Winston, so glad to speak with you today, Nov 5, ... and get the 'low-down' on the 'Solar Education' program, we all are part of, and we all need to get more involved with ...' For a Future' !
        The support necessary to accomplish a 'Captain Sol' presentation at the ASES 2022, Albuquerque, NM Conference ... with any and all the personalities that are 'still moving' ... will be what we will aim for ! Here at Maine Solar Energy Association, and dadsolar.com, Jonesport, Maine, we appreciate your enthusiasm and respect the effort you're involved with ! We have worked with schools in Maine as well as across the nation for almost 40 years, with Dr Richard Komp (Practical Photovoltaics) !
        The others, around the world, that had been 'touched' with the 'Solar Magic' of Richard ... and the hundreds of 'sustainable solar business' operators in the many countries on almost every continent, are the inspiration for our 'next steps' ! ... As we can see the first Sunrise, here in the Far Eastern US, Washington County, Maine ... the sun also rises, ... as the world turns !
         We need to do the necessary fundraising that will allow the operation of 'Captain Sol' and the other avenues available that we all know are needed ... 'For a Future' ! I will do whatever I can, to get to the next step ! Thank you again !
         Peace ... Adelante con el Sol, ... John Burke, ASES  PV Tech Division, Chair ... Director MESEA and dadsolar.com

John Burke
    Director, MESEA, Maine
    Maine Solar Energy Association
    dadsolar@yahoo.com

• 5.  RE: Captain Sol Brigade Recruits

Posted 11-05-2021 10:21 AM
    John. Thank you so much. On our short call, immediately I felt your enthusiasm was palpable and I so appreciate your thoughts and words. Perhaps this weekend we can have a longer call and I'll appreciate your thinking about next steps.

We are all Captain Sol. Most of us know that K-12 kids and young adults will soon be the leaders of our industry. But the Captain Sol Brigade has a reach to include other avenues, to include community partnerships, joint programs, such as with kid's gardening and the Captain Planet character, first created by Ted Turner. As a cartoon character who body shifts in to all possible combinations, young/old, male/female/, short/tall. slim/not slim, muscular/wheel chair, the iconic image lends itself in many ways to support the solar industry.

I know that you and I will be bouncing off the walls after our next conversation because we have a similar vision beyond making a living (I think many of us feel the same about the moral imperative of tackling climate change).

Thanks again my friend.

Winston RILEY
    Owner
    Bask Solar Company
    Lee's Summit MO
    basksolarco@gmail.com