Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
  • 1.  Solar Forum 2022 - Phoenix AZ Nov 14-15 (HVAC and Solar)

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-01-2022 10:43 AM
    Excited to see the pairing of HVAC and Solar at this new conference by ACCA Nov 14-15 in Phoenix.
    https://www.acca.org/education/solarforum
    "At the Solar Forum, presented by the Air Conditioning Contractors of America and Pearl Certification, you will hear from leading experts about the impact of trends like "all-electrification" and "smart monitoring" on your HVAC business – good and bad! We will discuss how HVAC integrates with solar, batteries, time-of-use utility rate structures, and other technologies, as well as how those trends are accelerating through policies, economics, and market forces.
    We encourage you to join us for inspiring educational sessions, learn about innovative products, and meet passionate service providers. Be sure to take advantage of the many opportunities to network with HVAC and solar contractors."

Make the investment that will create a powerful ripple effect in our industry and the communities we serve!

------------------------------
    Debbie Coleman
    Sun Plans
    [EmailAddress]
    https://www.sunplans.com

• 2.  RE: Solar Forum 2022 - Phoenix AZ Nov 14-15 (HVAC and Solar)

Silver
    Contributor
    Posted 11-02-2022 11:00 AM
    Edited by william fitch 11-02-2022 11:03 AM
    Hi Deb: Seeing the words Solar and HVAC made me think of the days gone by where hot air solar panels and HVAC were both concepts baked into one package. To this day, I have a 200sqft hot air panel that does about 600 CFM on high and in one solar day can take both floors of my house to 77-78 Degs F from 68-70 Deg F. (Which my wife loves being a Reptile and all). Snow build up is a non issue (Vertical) and ground reflection off a fresh snow creates an obscene amount of extra energy. 

Vertical hot air panels were very much of a missed opportunity on scale, to harvest vast amounts of solar energy for moderate to high HDD climates. HVAC of course is the medium for the energy movement. I think one of the mistakes in the past was to always try and couple storage with it rather than just letting the internal mass of structure soak up the heat while the sun shines. This elevated the cost and complexity too much for just a small amount of gain in efficiency and avoiding a modest amount of temp swing.

From your above description though, it appears the focus is merely how PV production (Storage) can be optimized with HVAC use loads and times.

william fitch
    Owner
    www.WeAreSolar.com

• 3.  RE: Solar Forum 2022 - Phoenix AZ Nov 14-15 (HVAC and Solar)

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-02-2022 12:17 PM
    Re Solar Air Heating panels, thanks for bringing those up!  I noticed at a recent SOLAR conference that one of the Indian Nations was incorporating solar air heaters into existing homes where it was not practical to add south-facing windows for solar gain. I would love to see you (or someone else) present a paper on them at the next ASES conference in Boulder so would encourage you to submit a presentation (paper or poster) to be able to share your experience with them. I assume you have already been a part of the National Solar Tour in person or virtually, but if not, that is an excellent way to share information about this simple technology. I will be curious to see if the solar air heaters will be allowed for tax credits under the IRA. Or maybe you can reach out to ACCA and see if any of their members are incorporating solar air heaters.

Debbie Coleman
    Sun Plans
    [EmailAddress]

• 4.  RE: Solar Forum 2022 - Phoenix AZ Nov 14-15 (HVAC and Solar)

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-03-2022 01:58 PM
    In addition to solar air heaters, solar hot water should be considered for space heating, as well as domestic hot water.  Thermal energy is stored in water, which is non-toxic and low cost, and used at night and during the next day if cloudy.  Thermal energy stored in water tanks at my home (1,915 ft elevation in western Massachusetts) can provide space heat for about three cloudy winter days, without any supplemental heating.

Stu Besnoff
    owner
    Alpine Solar Heat and Hot Water, LLC

• 5.  RE: Solar Forum 2022 - Phoenix AZ Nov 14-15 (HVAC and Solar)

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-04-2022 09:21 AM
    Solar water for space heating would be another subject to present on at SOLAR 2023, Stu, so consider submitting an application for a paper or poster for the conference in Boulder next Aug 8-11. Thanks for bringing up yet another way that the sun can provide heat to a building in addition to passive solar, solar-heated air, and PV electricity to power mini-split heat pumps.

Debbie Coleman
    (Architect & ASES Solar Buildings V-Chair)
    Sun Plans
    [EmailAddress]

• 6.  RE: Solar Forum 2022 - Phoenix AZ Nov 14-15 (HVAC and Solar)

ASES Life Member
    Posted 11-07-2022 12:34 PM
    Yes, looks like Solar = PV. A new generation needs training. Solar thermal and passive cooling can be a large part, or all, of the HVAC system.

M Keith Sharp
    Emeritus Professor
    Louisville KY