Everything Solar Forum

communities_1.jpg

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

• 1.  Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-15-2021 12:47 PM

Hello ASES online community!

I am looking for the stories and experiences of people who have invested into solar energy and have saved money or/and cut down their emissions. Your story would possibly used for a presentation that will be used to inform others on the importance of lowering our carbon footprints and investing in renewables. Also, we'll hopefully gain some new ASES members!  

You can go as in-depth as you would like to! Some general figures would be great, such as how much was money was saved or a general estimate of emissions you've been able to cut down on a personal-scale. 

Any contribution would be amazing! If you would prefer not to have your name included in the presentation then please state so in your post.

------------------------------
    Ahalya Sabaratnam
    Programs and Membership Liaison Intern
    American Solar Energy Society

• 2.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-15-2021 06:48 PM
    Actually I have 15 stories that may be of help.  I recently finished a book "Driving to Net 0 - Stories of Hope for a Carbon Free Future".    https://www.amazon.com/Driving-Net-Stories-Carbon-Future/dp/0692143831.   Or for details on our chapter you can look here.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv5fxw8r3zim03p/Chapter%203%20-%20The%20Green%20Guy.pdf?dl=0  

But we now power our home AND our cars from rooftop solar.  If you look at the electric and gasoline costs we have paid for our system and cut our carbon footprint 89% from 2009 levels.

David Hrivnak
    Sales/Engineering
    EcoLogical (part time)
    dhrivnak@chartertn.net

• 3.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-15-2021 07:28 PM
    Thank you so much! 

I'll definitely make sure to include your story and the many details in the chapter you sent such as transforming your transportation, house and recreation to be more eco-friendly. 

Even though I don't own a house, I'm inspired! I definitely plan on buying your book for more advice on reducing my carbon footprint and including it in the presentation as a resource for others! For some reason the link you sent on Amazon didn't work but I found a working one here.

Ahalya Sabaratnam

• 4.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

ASES Life Member
    Posted 03-16-2021 08:33 AM
    So glad you posted this information, David.  For others, I met David 2 years ago at ASES 2019 when he had a presentation on Driving to Net Zero. After realizing that his upcoming book had chapters each by different homeowners and their various Net Zero Energy success stories - all different, but all having a vehicle charging element - I was able to put him in touch with a couple of more homeowners for additional chapters in his book which is a wealth of knowledge!  Suggest checking it out.

Debra Coleman
    Architect
    Sun Plans
    debra28@sunplans.com
    https://www.sunplans.com

• 5.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-17-2021 10:27 AM
    Small world Debra as a friend is looking to you to design his new home here in Kingsport.

David Hrivnak
    Sales/Engineering
    EcoLogical (part time)
    dhrivnak@chartertn.net

• 6.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

ASES Fellow
    Posted 03-16-2021 08:35 AM
    You might cover the personal experiences of Tom Hoff, founder of Clean Power Research and an ASES Award Winner. He documents his own home retrofit (for a typical Sacramento, CA, residence), with the goal of making his home carbon neutral. Tom also gave a paper at the ASES Solar Conference on this topic-- I think it was 2014 or 15, but he's continued work since then, and it's impressive!
    See https://www.cleanpower.com/2018/residential-electrification/

Jill K. Cliburn
    Cliburn and Associates, LLC
    Santa Fe NM
    jkcliburn@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-17-2021 08:33 AM
      |   view attached
    See attached for description of our solar, wind, thermal, etc. items, including costs. Also, now have a Prius Prism automobile. I note, unfortunately, Illinois no longer permits self-installers to receive RECs so relative costs of commercially installed and self-installed are much more difficult to determine; however, I still strongly encourage ground based, self-installation if space permits; I note we garden between the rows of panels. Note the attached brochure , in addition to listing solar output for 3 sets of retiltable panels, with one dating back to 2007, also compares their output with that of a 10 kW wind turbine.
    Phil Geil

Phillip Geil
    Retired Professor
    phgeil@gmail.com

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-17-2021 10:30 AM
    Impressive sir, are you off grid or if not what part of the power needs are met with wind and solar?  As your your Prius, did you mean to say you have a Prius Prime?

David Hrivnak
    Sales/Engineering
    EcoLogical (part time)
    dhrivnak@chartertn.net

• 9.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-17-2021 03:40 PM
    We are on the grid with Power Smart pricing and net metering. We use more electricity then most homes due to heating water for our animals (ca. 4000W of heaters, llamas, emus, ducks, chickens and guinea hens). We use our geothermal for AC, but house heat is mostly a kerosene heater as well as solar; the house has R50 in the walls and R75 in the roof. The car is a Prius Prime. Until we bought the Prius we had an Ameren bill only once a year; I expect it will be two - three months this year, with last months bill being $0.49; we balance out the net metering in April.

Phillip Geil
    Retired Professor
    phgeil@gmail.com

• 10.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-24-2021 12:27 PM
    Hi Mr. Geil, 

Thank you for your detailed word document along with the parts the break down the installation costs. I'll make sure to include these statistics in my presentation! 

I was wondering if you had anything that stated your before costs? I understand that plus the installation costs you only have a bill every two-three months that are a few cents. I would like to compare that to the costs you had before you converted to renewable energy. 

Thank you!

Ahalya Sabaratnam

• 11.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-24-2021 03:40 PM
    Ahalya:
    Not totally sure what you are asking. Our Ameren bills in 2006, before we installed the wind turbine and first set of panels was running ca. $600/month, and proposed to increase to $800 due to a rise in rates. We are on net metering and Power Smart pricing, with a zeroing out on April 1, which means we can build up credit during spring-fall and use it up in the winter, balancing and canceling out any credit accumulated and left over on April 1. Until we bought the Prius we had excess credit of several hundred, but don't know what will happen this coming month. Our bill last month was $0.49 and the one we just received is $0. Thus, we may have no bill next month also since our production is up over that of the winter months. In addition, relative to costs, I would note our RECs for the 1st 2 sets of panels ($90/MW) and the turbine ($5.00/MW) ran out recently, with RECS for only the last 5.7 kW of panels still active. Unfortunately, for comparison of relative costs for future installations, Illinois no longer permits RECs for self-installers, the various solar societies promoting solar installers rather than solar installations. If any more information is needed let me know.
    Phil Geil

Phillip Geil
    Retired Professor
    phgeil@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: Personal Stories of the Highlights of Investing in Solar Energy

Posted 03-25-2021 11:01 AM
    Mr. Geil: 

This is perfect! I'm sorry if my question wasn't clear but you ended up answering it with the exact information I needed. 
    Thank you for sharing your story with us!

Ahalya Sabaratnam